how would you get rid of some kitchen cabinets?
a previous owner of our house apparently got a deal on some old kitchen cabinets. They must have come out of a pretty big house, we have almost 30 feet of base cabinets. I want to get rid of 2/3rds of that, it wastes a lot of space in the basement. I hate to do it, but my first inclination is to cut them up.
Habitat Restore nearby? Otherwise stick an ad on CL, apartment owners are always looking for such things.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
there is a restore about 20 miles from here. In general, they don't pick up, do they? I would love to donate them, but they aren't going to fit in the Prius.

The real problem is getting them out of the basement. I guess I'll take the countertops off and see if I think I can move them.
Well, you can always call them and ask---otherwise, put an ad on Craig's List for a minimal cost or free as long as they are willing to pick them up themselves.
Dave
EricU said:

The real problem is getting them out of the basement. I guess I'll take the countertops off and see if I think I can move them.

The last cabinets I removed, involved dismantling them with a sledge hammer. They are much easier to move that way.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I would be very surprised if HfH did not come out and pick them up.

Remove the tops then you can dismantle the boxes in units you can carry upstairs. two people make it a breeze

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Our store picks stuff up, though I imagine they may some value judement on the trip (mileage versus value). Someone else said it: call and ask.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
it depends on what kind they are. If they are modular and have backs on them then I'd try to get them out and offer on CL. If they are like the cabinets at our old house where they are built with no backs and the wall is the back, bust them up and haul them off.
I love having a second kitchen in the house. Makes the big messy tasks like canning and butchering much easier without interrupting supper.
Mike

Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I mounted old wall cabinets on the basement wall. It made a neat job of organizing my stuff. It is still in my old house I'm certain.

Base cabinets, if sturdy can be decent workbenches if topped with a good thick top.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.