Alternative to Waterlox in California
Going to finish some cherry, but been a while. In the past I applied Sealcoat a few coats and then wiped on Waterlox for 5 coats, sanding with 240 grit in between. However, Waterlox is about 50 bucks for a quart, and I have to buy a "VOC Compliant" type of the product.

Is there a cheaper alternative???
McFeeleys has Crystalac for ~$55/gallon and Amazon has GF topcoats for $22 to $30/quart. Either are far super to waterlox IMHO. McFeeleys recently had Cryastalac on sale at a 30% discount.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Well, the question would be "what characteristics of Waterlox made you choose it?" Have your five coats accomplished what you wanted to accomplish with it?

As far as I know, Waterlox is the only tung oil + phenolic resin varnish out there. Behlen Rock Hard used to be similar, but they have reformulated it.

Last time I bought it, earlier this year, Original was about $34 a quart at Woodcraft, the less thinned stuff a bit more.
Where do you live in CA? You can still get the normal Waterlox if you buy it from a vendor in one of the less stringent air quality districts. I can still get it at the Ventura Woodcraft. As a test, I went to Amazon and you can order it from Amazon and get it shipped to you. There were no restrictions. Woodcraft simply stopped shipping Waterlox of any kind for on line orders (they apparently don't have the capability to distinguish which AQMD you live in.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I find that sometimes Amazon won't ship it, then I try again and they do. I've had the same experience with some other suppliers. Just keep ordering it online till it takes.