Just another half back
Ron, your attention to detail is really, really impressive. It makes your saws stand out, even among the many fine boutique saws we see these days.

I was reminded of your work yesterday because my wife was doing a little home-improvement project that required trimming some small boards to length. She used the little backsaw she got from you. It doesn't get used a lot these days (she's busy with the kids, and only 1-2 of the kids are big enough to use the saw right now), but when it does get used, it's a pleasure.

It's also an heirloom that will be used for generations, I'm sure.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Hey Ron!

Said it before.... I'll say again... Lots of excellent work right there in one picture.

Question..... does a saw like this imply that there isn't a need for a back? These type of saws and backsaws, for the most part, have short blades. If the plate isn't too thin and it has enough height, the fact that it is relatively short, there isn't a need for a back to prevent it from kinking.?

BTW, my dainty little hand would fit that handle perfectly
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
Beautiful product. I have one of your saws, love it, and will save up for 'nuther.
Hi Marv,

Thanks to all for the thoughts. I will be making a slight change to the lambs tongue at some point. Just another option. As far as no spine.... The saw will simply behave like an un tapered panel saw up to the toe end of the spine. It will flex side to side if your stroke is not straight, but as soon as you get to that portion of the plate, it becomes rigid. You can cause a bend in the plate at that point. But, even short panel saws can kink. There is plenty of them out there to prove it. The main thing with these is to just relax the stroke and let the saw do the work. Particularly toward the back third of the plate. Too many variables to go in to here, but hang angles vs rake angles opens up yet another discussion.

Otherwise as you stated/ implied. Put on a 0.035" thick plate, ( preferably tapered. ) and it will feel much the same. Providing you use the same hang angles etc. Too many variables to go in to here. Tis the season and time is short.

This saw, btw, went north to Alberta. The hand size is for another project. The 3.25" width is the opening of the horns.

Still working on those irons in the fire as time allows. So that's my story and I am sticking with it.
Thank goodness for OCD. Otherwise my ADD would never allow me to get anything accomplished.
Best wishes and happy holidays to everyone.
BontzSawWorks.net
Amazing craftsmanship, Ron, as always!
Nice saw Ron
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Beautiful!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite