Modern interior styling... I don't like it.
We're getting ready to remodel three bathrooms, build a laundry room and take down a wall making two smaller rooms into one larger bedroom.... There will be a full tile shower, two drop in tubs and quite a bit of tile work. That being said...

White cabinets and and gray rectangle tile, installed in a "subway" pattern (looks like a block wall) are what's in style. Also, no medicine cabinets ae in style. Smaller mirrors instead... minimalist a best.

gag... really? White painted cabinets? Is this a reflection of the economic times... Prison chic? Amish nightclub? It reminds me of the stuff you hang in the garage.

I don't like it. How long do you think this style will last? I see the clear glass back splashes and cobble stone shower floors are already ebbing out of style.

I'm always thinking about resale when I do these things and I don't think white cabinets and "subway" tile will stand the test of time. Some of these cabinets are white vinyl.

What say you?

This is what I'm talking about

I try to use styles in the remodeling I've done and furniture I've built that are consistent with the architectural style of my house. But in the end I do what pleases me, with no thought of resale value. Bathrooms and kitchens get remodeled every 15 to 25 years most of the time so it's not like those are forever decisions. Whoever buys my house must like it or they won't buy it.

John
White cabinets and subway tile have been in vogue for 100 years. People get tired of oak, cherry, maple and go back to white. Laminate is making its way back too, especially the HD patterns, under mount sinks and edge trim that shows no lines.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Now you've done it!!!!

My wife looked over my shoulder and saw the pic you posted...

copied and printed it. Looks like she found her new bathroom.

Dang it, Snipe!! The last remodel was just 4 years ago!

You're killing me, Smalls. Killing me.

" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
White cabinet etc and subway tile are never in out out of style it's just an old standby that's been around for 100 or more years like mentioned.

Remodeling a house is like building a classic car. Do what has been a steady trend. Like with cars the big wheels and road dragging were a short lived thing. Stay away from trends make it neat and tidy with a little style and it'll all be good.
You flipping the house or are you gonna live there?

I never saw any point in remodeling to fit a style, unless LOML likes a style.

Do the rooms like you and LOYL want and the heck with resale.

Look at it this way, you can always paint the cabinets white for resale.
As others have said, this type of styling is classic, never "out of style" but also happens to be en vogue right now, particularly with chrome/crystal accents - "bling."

Agree traditional medicine cabinets are out compared to mirrors unless the cabs can be flush in wall and made to look like a mirror, however clever storage very important and valuable.

You know what's really in style and sure to be out in 5 years? Gray wood. Vessel sinks, particularly the more "unique" styles, seem to be heading out.

Also in style, or rather more of design evolution, meaning unlikely to go back to previous ways:
-sconces instead of overhead lights...people figured out overhead lighting is useless compared to side lighting for illuminating one's face, eg to put on makeup
-curbless showers (only if done right)
-frameless glass

Brass is coming back, though in a duller, less yellow form than in the 90s.
Google Image "Bathroom" to see numerous styles. There is a large influence from the Home and Garden type TV shows. The picture you posted reminds me of the dentists office.
Today on the shows a young couple look at a gigantic house and say the bathroom is too small . The bathroom and kitchen are the most expensive rooms in a house.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
white cabinets and subway tile has never been out of vogue.

Travertine doesn't seem to go out of vogue either. It has been around for millennia......

I do agree on the glass backsplashes/wall tile they will be very dated in 10 years.

As to medicine cabinets, yea that is a bad look. They were from a time where most vanities were short and had no drawers. With todays kitchen cabinet height cabinets and the myriad of drawer designs you can get in a modern vanity I would never install a medicine cabinet today.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
First, I'm in the "do what you like" camp.

Second, as a critique of the picture Snipe posted, I think the design is pretty timeless albeit bland and excepting the fugly sconces.

That said a neutral decor is very easy to enliven with a bright potted plant, wall art, piece of stained glass, etc. And so much easier to change than tile...

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.