Headboard project
It has been some time since I have posted here or even had time to take a look at what everyone has been up to. I was finally able to get out to the garage/shop on Monday and put together this headboard that is going to be a Christmas gift for my daughter. Since this is going to be painted white to match the rest of her bedroom furniture I decided to use Pine and a piece of hardboard for the center panel. I will post a few more pictures once completed and placed in her room
very nicely built! thats some clear pine! did ya work from roughsawn? are you spraying or brushing the paint?
lookin at the pic i was wonderin what the step under the left side was for.
i need to wake up!
tomsteve said:

very nicely built! thats some clear pine! did ya work from roughsawn? are you spraying or brushing the paint?
lookin at the pic i was wonderin what the step under the left side was for.
i need to wake up!

This pine was purchased from Menards for another project and I was able to use what I had leftover. I will most likely end up using a brush and roller to finish. I don't have anyplace to spray at the new house.

We have a crawl space behind where the headboard is sitting which is why I have a step stool sitting there. The new headboard is leaning up against the oak loft bed I previously built for her.
Are you putting any kind of fabric over the hardboard?
Don
DFJarvie said:

Are you putting any kind of fabric over the hardboard?

At this time there is no plan to put fabric on the hardboard it will be painted white with the rest of the headboard. I may add a vertical piece in the middle to break up the hardboard and add a more detail.
I put the headboard up in the bedroom today to get a feel for what it will look like with a bed in front of it. I still have to finish but wanted to see what it looks like in the room.I discovered a oversight in my plans when I put it in front of the frame. The headboard legs are a little too wide for the bolt holes on the bed frame. I added a piece between the legs to secure the frame to the headboard. More photos to come once I get it painted which will hopefully be later this week.

hubaseball said:

It has been some time since I have posted here or even had time to take a look at what everyone has been up to. I was finally able to get out to the garage/shop on Monday and put together this headboard that is going to be a Christmas gift for my daughter. Since this is going to be painted white to match the rest of her bedroom furniture I decided to use Pine and a piece of hardboard for the center panel. I will post a few more pictures once completed and placed in her room

I was able to get some paint on today and got a better idea of what the end product will look like. I used an ultra white high gloss Behr paint and applied with a roller and brush for the hard to reach corners. I am pretty happy with the results. I wish I had the room to spray finish my project so the finish could be even nicer.

So I was able to finish the headboard Christmas Eve and install it on the bed while my daughter was out with my wife so it was a complete surprise to her. I think she walked in the room a few times before she noticed it was there. I wish that I would have had a video of her running down the stairs with excitement. Those are the types of reactions that make it so worth spending the time putting together gifts like this each year.