Mineral spirits residue
The top of a teacart has been stripped using citrus stripper. The label says clean it up with a stiff brush and mineral spirits. Lumber yard guy says don't use mineral spirits at it leaves an oil residue. He promotes alcohol. Opinions and experience appreciated. -- Peter
Depends on the finish that will be used. If I were doing that cleanup, I'd use paint thinner or mineral spirits---the real oil based kind, not the eco friendly stuff.

Then use alcohol.

Reason? The spirits dissolve stuff alcohol does not dissolve as well. The alcohol will remove the spirits residue.

I always get good finish results by using the base liquid for the finish I will use just before applying the finish(let it dry first, however).
petertay15 said:

The top of a teacart has been stripped using citrus stripper. The label says clean it up with a stiff brush and mineral spirits. Lumber yard guy says don't use mineral spirits at it leaves an oil residue. He promotes alcohol. Opinions and experience appreciated. -- Peter

Do the cleanup per the instructions from Citrus Strip, then a final wipe down with lacquer thinner or acetone to remove any residue.
Joseph Connors

The new Golden Rule .....
Those with the Gold make the rules!
Joe Connors said:

Do the cleanup per the instructions from Citrus Strip, then a final wipe down with lacquer thinner or acetone to remove any residue.

^^^^^^^This
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Same here, lacquer thinner is my solvent of choice for cleaning all kinds of stuff. Mineral spirits does leave a residue behind. Think of it as a cleaner version of diese/kerosene. Basically a lighter oil.
Robert Adams said:

Same here, lacquer thinner is my solvent of choice for cleaning all kinds of stuff. Mineral spirits does leave a residue behind. Think of it as a cleaner version of diese/kerosene. Basically a lighter oil.

Me too. LT or Acetone.
Ag
crap I just read that in the hundreds of pieces I've refinished I have been doing it wrong. I use mineral spirits for clean up and have never had a single problem. I use it after using keen strip premium stripper, I use mineral spirits for a final wipe down before finishing, and I use it to wipe the dust off after sanding between coats. I have never had a single problem with ms using it this way. I doubt I will change a thing.
petertay15 said:

Interestingly enough, the main ingredient, by percentage, is used as a solvent for petroleum-based products. MS are petroleum-base (nonpolar) liquids.

It is miscible with water, and therefore, presumably, with (semipolar) alcohol.

That said, almost any finish wants an oil-free substrate, which would dictate MS. Probably why the manufacturer recommends it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Naphtha works wonders. And it evaporates entirely too.
petertay15 said:

I guess I am left wondering if your concern about "this residue" is one that will affect your finish, or your health?

For health it's a much higher refined form of mineral oil, which we generally suggest you saturate a cutting board with, maybe with some parafin wax added.

Wow as a finish, you'll have to get through the chemical makeup of everything mentioned in this thread, and see if they don't all start life as some form of petro chemical.

Anyhow here is what Bob Flexner says about all those liquids we use I would dare say he is considered to be smarter than the average Big Box employee on these matters. He is giving this or that, however those who have gotten it wrong haven't had terrible outcomes, and I dare say many have probably been impressed enough with the outcomes to repeatedly make the same mistakes over and over
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW