Mighty Mag w/Quick Release
You guys are lucky you don't have Canada Post.
This is not a switchable magnet. It is pried loose using a cam.

A proven design and it may meet your needs.

Bill
Axl said:

That's why your mail is going to be late. According to our next door neighbor. She also delivers our/her mail.

That excuse won't work for our mail, it was always late...way before the 'zon got involved. Of course, it was only late on the times they didn't lose it!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Mr Eddie said:

Robert,
I've had similar problems with our post office. I was tracking some equipment and online they showed it as delivered - it wasn't. I called our local post office and they said they always mark all the tracked packages as delivered before they go out for the daily run! Also, had a period of time where some of the companies we ordered from would ship thru FedEx who would then hand off the final leg to the USPS. We complained to the companies we did business with. Apparently, we weren't the only ones.

Disclaimer: I work at USPS HQ. I am not a carrier.

Most post office carriers have a barcode scanner on hand when packages are delivered and scan them when delivered. Once scanned, the scanner (might need to be placed on the base in the truck) will upload the delivery scan data. It may take several minutes or more for the data to become live on the product tracking system.

Not all rural carriers have the scanners and decide to scan packages at the post office (I don't know this for sure). Once the route is done, rural carriers are done for the day.

City carriers have an eight hour shift and have to clock in at beginning of shift and clock out at the end of the shift. In my experience, your regular carrier is more likely to do this. YMMV

We do the final mile deliveries with FedEx and UPS. Items with magnets get an extra fee (non-machinable) as they can't be ran on the sorting machine or they will stick to something on the machine and clog the machine and not allow free flowing of the other packages.
WoodTinker