TV Sound Bar Question
I have a 70" Sharp TV. Because of it's position in the LR the sound travels into another room. I'm really trying to avoid moving the TV within the LR (to many changes and stuff).

I'm hoping if I purchase a sound bar that the sound will be better directed in the LR. But I have determined I don't have enough knowledge to make an intelligent decision. What specifically should I compare between units?
Jim
I have terrible hearing, which irritates LOML.

Decided to explore sound systems for the TV. We had a wired surround system with a sound bar and two side placed small speakers. The wires for the side speakers were a huge PITA.

Finally went to a store and listened to several types.

Wound up with a Bose system, a large adjustable bass and two small speakers, all which are best mounted beside the TV.

The result is good volume for me that does not blast out LOML---and the kids get theater quality sound when the bass is turned up.
[blockquote]K. L, McReynolds said:

WHAT? Just had to do it and thanks, that is a big help. Have always heard good things about Bose.
Jim
I like the Bose as well, they have systems at many levels now for TV's but not all do surround if that is important to you.
K. L, McReynolds said:

Decided to explore sound systems for the TV. We had a wired surround system with a sound bar and two side placed small speakers. The wires for the side speakers were a huge PITA.

Finally went to a store and listened to several types.

Wound up with a Bose system, a large adjustable bass and two small speakers, all which are best mounted beside the TV.

The result is good volume for me that does not blast out LOML---and the kids get theater quality sound when the bass is turned up.

I have some Sony wireless headphones with volume control independent of the television volume. Loud as I need it to be even if the set volume is muted. Marriage saver for sure. Mine are probably low-end for ones that actually work, but they're good enough for me.
I'm only 36, but have fairly poor hearing, from being a tough guy who didn't wear ear protection around many hours on a large wood chipper when younger.

I highly recommend a stereo and at least a center speaker, a left and right speaker, and a subwoofer for anyone that has hearing problems. (If everything sounds loud and muddled, maybe it's not the TV....)

The subwoofer seems like a strange suggestion for hearing, but it's important to be able to set the crossover on the stereo so that most of the low sounds go to the sub, and the speakers can transmit the other sounds. You can then turn down the sub if you like. I've got a setup that looks like it's optimized to shake the house during an action movie, but in reality, is setup to deliver the crispest, richest dialogue possible.
I like having a high quality stereo hooked up to the tv.
I prefer stereo. No surround stuff.
Nothing like 300 watts RMS for the music stations!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I use Sennheiser remote headphones. They work great.

Try hanging some noise abatement drapes behind the set. It should make a significant difference.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Halfathumb said:

I have a 70" Sharp TV. Because of it's position in the LR the sound travels into another room. I'm really trying to avoid moving the TV within the LR (to many changes and stuff).

I'm hoping if I purchase a sound bar that the sound will be better directed in the LR. But I have determined I don't have enough knowledge to make an intelligent decision. What specifically should I compare between units?

If you mount the sound bar, other than below the tv it might make a difference. Below the tv, it's putting the sound out in the same direction.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Pirate said:

[blockquote]Halfathumb said:

If you mount the sound bar, other than below the tv it might make a difference. Below the tv, it's putting the sound out in the same direction.

[/blockquote]

Why would over/under the TV affect the direction of the sound?

He could fabricate a reflector behind the speaker. It would both reduce the noise behind the speaker and increase the sound directed to the listener. This would allow a lower volume setting to hear and so the sound behind it would be doubly affected.

I think I would do both. Create a directional reflector behind the speaker and put a sound reducing drapery right behind that.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.