Bosch vs SawStop
At the risk of starting a religious discussion regarding power tools, I am asking a serious question.

Bosch announced and showcased a hot dog safety technology for their contractor saw, for those who wish to avoid cutting hot dogs. The announcements I remember stated it was suppose to hit the market this fall. Of course Steve Gass sued. When I Googled the issue, I return articles dated last July.

Does anyone know the status of the lawsuit or whether the new Bosch saw will hit the shelves anytime soon?
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Quote:

Bosch saw will hit the shelves anytime soon

not if gassbag can stop it.

Too bad really but I am hopeful for a positive outcome.

Otherwise you will be assimilated.

Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

No only did Gass file a complaint against Bosch, but he has an ongoing law suit against several other table saw manufacturers, claiming they have colluded to prevent him licensing his technology, and also trying to subvert his attempts to force the Feds to require his technology on all table saws. Initially, the law suit was dismissed, but the 4th Circuit Court of appeals reinstated part of the lawsuit (the anti-trust part).

Based on the videos I've seen where Bosch was demonstrating their REAXX saw, they still have some bugs to work out to prevent false blade retractions. When initially priced, the REAXX was about 3x the cost of their job site saw, and about the same cost or more than SawStop's equivalent.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
A Florida court recently ruled that the lack of flesh-sensing technology is a design flaw.

http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/w...table-saws
When I spoke to the SawStop rep at WIA he seemed to think they would be in litigation for a LONG time....
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
I think most companies spend as much time on litigation as producing their products. Nobody batted an eye when Samsung and Apple went at it, tying up the courts, because of the radius of the corners on some version of their phones.

Years back a lot of courts sided with plaintiffs who sued car companies because their car didn't have air bags. Eventually SCOTUS ruled that the lower courts were wrong, because the plaintiffs chose to buy cars without air bags, even though in some cases they were an option.

Eventually we will all help pay the bill, one way or the other.

---
See ya later,
Bill
Bill_de said:

Years back a lot of courts sided with plaintiffs who sued car companies because their car didn't have air bags. Eventually SCOTUS ruled that the lower courts were wrong, because the plaintiffs chose to buy cars without air bags, even though in some cases they were an option.

That's why the FL ruling will be tossed out. Unless the Feds mandate SawStop technology on table saws, a manufacturer who complies will all other safety regs is held harmless as long as the saw is defect free. And the Feds can't mandate SawStop's patented technology because that would violate anti-trust laws. The Ryobi case would be like telling chicken farmers they need to sell only boneless chickens, because bones are harmful and could cause injury to aggressive eaters and various pets.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
kludge said:

When I spoke to the SawStop rep at WIA he seemed to think they would be in litigation for a LONG time....

I believe this is generally the case, like 5 years. In some cases both companies continue to produce their respective products while they fight. I am wondering whether Bosch is prevented from producing while this case is fought or whether Bosch is still planning on going to market soon.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Cecil said:

[blockquote]kludge said:

I believe this is generally the case, like 5 years. In some cases both companies continue to produce their respective products while they fight. I am wondering whether Bosch is prevented from producing while this case is fought or whether Bosch is still planning on going to market soon.

[/blockquote]

What I find hard to understand is how Bosch doesn't have the deep pockets to just squash Sawstop. I guess just a lack of corporate will to devote to such a small area of their business. A shame.
-Marc

WaterlooMarc said:

[blockquote]Cecil said:

[blockquote]kludge said:

[/blockquote]

What I find hard to understand is how Bosch doesn't have the deep pockets to just squash Sawstop. I guess just a lack of corporate will to devote to such a small area of their business. A shame.

[/blockquote]

Even if Bosch could stomp all over SawStop, it would look bad to a large number of people. In spite of the dislike for Gass's business practices, he invented a safer table saw. In the mass media, Bosch would come across as beating down the little guy and stealing his invention.

I'm not taking sides, just talking about perception.

---
See ya later,
Bill