Irrigation Pros?
Hey gang...looking for some input from some irrigation pros...or those with more experience than I have.

I'm having a problem with my RainDial RD-900. A month ago, two zones decided to stop working. It sounded as if the solenoid was fluctuating. I started focusing on the valves themselves but then realized I had an issue with the controller itself.

Basically the thing is chewing thru backup batteries...and when the battery begins to die...the system won't run any zone. I had a pro out to take a look and even he didn't believe me...stating that the battery is only there to hold the programming when the power fails. I agree with his logic, but demonstrated that swap the battery with a fresh one and things start to work again. With a dying battery...the LCD screen is a little distorted...like waves...(almost as if cold) and when it tries to start a zone...the waviness increases...then the timer flashes and it gives up. I've tested that the transformer is sending 25V to the input on the board, so I have a feeling that the controller simply needs to be replaced. Given the fact that two zones decided to fail at the exact same time also makes me think the problem is farther up the chain and not in the valves.

So....question is...what's a good replacement? I have 8 zones today...so I'm looking for something that would run those as well as maybe an additional 1 or 2 (no real plans to expand...but I do have an unused valve in one of my manifolds so I don't want to limit myself down the road.

Thanks for any input/opinions!
Kevin
I don't have a brand name for you, but looked at replacing our controller last summer and found two that connected to an iOS app through wifi. I really liked the idea of being able to use my phone or tablet to tweak settings and get notifications, but in the end was able to repair my current setup without spending money on new controls. If you're a smart phone guys, there's some neat stuff out there worth investigating.
Our irrigation is all Hunter and use this controller. Quite a few years old now with no issues.
Just used this site as an example.
Hunter
Thanks guys...I'm always a little hesitant on buying stuff that's "wifi enabled" Always feel like it's just one more thing to break...

Thanks FlaAllen...however my controller sits in the garage (should have mentioned this) so I think I can save some money by not requiring an outdoor/sealed unit.

Anyone have any input on this model? Seems to get high reviews on Amazon...but never really know anymore with those...
AmazonLink
I'm not a pro. However; when I installed my irrigation system I used these guys. Top notch people to work with and will answer any questions. Online information galore!

Sprinkler Warehouse

I have no connection to this company

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
brnhornt said:

Thanks FlaAllen...however my controller sits in the garage (should have mentioned this) so I think I can save some money by not requiring an outdoor/sealed unit.

YW. I don't know anything about Rainbird equipment, Hunter is all that is used down here by all the pros.
Sprinkler Warehouse is a great resourse, and where I bought my controller. Thanks for the link above. Here is an indoor 8 zone controller that might work for you.
Hunter XC-800i X-Core
Thanks everyone!