Krenov style cabinet
I have been asked to build a Krenov style cabinet for a lady to keep her Essential Oils housed. She is an Essential Oils Dealer and wants a classy cabinet to keep them stored. My question for you folks is....what are the dimensions of a Krenov Cabinet? Any help you could lend me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
John's Woodshop said:

I have been asked to build a Krenov style cabinet for a lady to keep her Essential Oils housed. She is an Essential Oils Dealer and wants a classy cabinet to keep them stored. My question for you folks is....what are the dimensions of a Krenov Cabinet? Any help you could lend me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
John

I think you mean the proportions, not dimensions. The dimensions of the cabinet would be "large enough to hold the contents", then the base is sized to match.

Looking at some photos, it looks like legs are typically about as long as the cabinet portion is high. The cabinets seem to have about a width:height ratio of 2:3. Depth seems to be about the same as width.

Draw it up, full scale or 1:2 scale if you can and if the proportions are pleasing, you have a case-on-stand cabinet in the west-coast style that one could call a Krenov Cabinet.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Are you thinking of something like this one? Plans are available and would give you a good starting point if you need to modify the dimensions.
Make sure you find out if she wants a display cabinet (glass) or a storage cabinet.

The JK cabinets I'm familiar with are built around stunning wood for the doors, so the size of your door lumber will narrow down the cabinet dimensions.
DaveR1 said:

Are you thinking of something like this one? Plans are available and would give you a good starting point if you need to modify the dimensions.

Yes, something like that is exactly what she is after.

Thanks!
John
I don't think there is an specific set of dimensions or even ratios that Krenov used. I'd suggest showing the lady some photos and see what style she prefers and go from there.

Phil
Chuck Nickerson said:

Make sure you find out if she wants a display cabinet (glass) or a storage cabinet.

The JK cabinets I'm familiar with are built around stunning wood for the doors, so the size of your door lumber will narrow down the cabinet dimensions.

That makes very good sense. Thanks!

And thanks to all for your advice!
Rob Young said:

Looking at some photos, it looks like legs are typically about as long as the cabinet portion is high. The cabinets seem to have about a width:height ratio of 2:3. Depth seems to be about the same as width.

What? No Golden Ratio? How could this possibly be pleasing to the eye?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

[blockquote]Rob Young said:

What? No Golden Ratio? How could this possibly be pleasing to the eye?

[/blockquote]

Well, he was blind late in life...
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
2:3 is not far off
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson