Dye Sources?
I've lost the last of three suppliers for dyes and need a new source. What have you been using and happy with -- Transtint, Transfast, Lockwood, others? Any of your most-used tints you can recommend?
JE Moser dyes are good (woodworker's supply) as well as the LV dyes. I've used more of them (LV) than the others. But the ones I've used are all mostly the common earth tone colors.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I like transtint in spite of it's cost. Ive used 6003, 6005 (gets very dark quickly), 6010, and the primaries from 6020 up. A friend of my sister's makes children's traditional toys that she advertises as edible. She uses food coloring and shellac.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I use Transtint dyes because they are soluble in water, alcohol, lacquer thinner and some other solvents, are available from Rockler's, Homestead Finishing, Woodcraft, and other places, and can be used to make dyes and toners. Very versatile and I find very cost effective.

John
Have used Transtint on raw wood and never been disappointed; usually with water, sometimes with alcohol; and finished with wipe-on Arm-R-Seal, also rattle can shellac and lacquer with no problems. Also find that a little bit of powder goes a long way, and colors are strong. Very transparent in the sense that grain patterns shows through well. Have applied TT with brush, rag, and even "dunked" small pieces. Let them dry to touch before finishing - longer if dunking.

Hey Woodknot, Transtint is a liquid. Transfast is the powdered dye, and soluble only in water.

John
I buy direct From WD Lockwood. I think I pay about $30 for 1 lb of dye powder. As you might guess I use A LOT of dye
I've been looking at them. Are their shipping charges reasonable?

Dave Diaman said:

I buy direct From WD Lockwood. I think I pay about $30 for 1 lb of dye powder. As you might guess I use A LOT of dye

jteneyck said:

Hey Woodknot, Transtint is a liquid. Transfast is the powdered dye, and soluble only in water.

John

My oops. I always use the powder - and I always get the names confused. Have to check the containers when I buy to be sure I have the right one.

Thanks, John

Homestead and Klingspor both carry trans fast/trans tint.