Router table with no insert plate question
Good information here. Pat Warner, aka "Routerman" uses this one without an insert. Made my first one years ago and went with Woodpecker PRL - works nicely but might not be for everyone.

Doug
This one
has no inserts either.
The work and router sleds are independent of each other.
Pat Warner
It would be much simpler to size a rectangular plate to bring the round inserts into various bit sizes than to attempt to construct a perfectly round insert hole. In addition, the throat plates are threaded so that the round inserts can be screwed into them, magnetically, or screwed down to the plate. How would you otherwise affix them? For something that works so easily, and the plates aren't particularly costly. I suppose I'm just not seeing a justification for not just installing a plate. learn more...
The insert plate has more uses than simply allowing the router to be removed more easily. In fact, with your router, it would need to be unscrewed with either.

In my mind, the real issue is rigidity. A 1/4” aluminum plate will hold your heavy router firmly without flexing. If you Pocket out the underside of the top to mount your router (which I have done with the exact Freud unit) you may need more thickness depending on how your top is made. This thickness reduces the cut depth of the router, so it is a trade off.

On the other hand, a one piece top does not go out of adjustment and never catches parts as you are working them. Inserts can do these things.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I've seen setups on a sheet of plywood suspended over two sawhorses.  Apparently, they thinned out the 3/4" thick plywood in the area where the router would mount. 

It guarantees a smooth transition, and access to the router is exceptionally easy.

This router table is more deluxe but shows the router directly mounted to the plywood.

https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/quic...ter-table/

[Image: detail1-hd.jpg]

[Image: diagram.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.