Table saw sled
When building a cross small cross sled are two miter bars really necessary.I just read an article on Fine Woodworking that say 1 is all you need. I've done them both ways and can't see any difference. What do you guys think.
Mark
I have a few with one, and a few with two, can't tell much of a difference.
When I had a table saw I made a single runner panel sled like Norm's.
It worked just fine, and I never needed more.
I also admire the fancy one's often seen here.
I now enjoy a smaller version of the Norm style sled on my band saw.
Ag
P.S. - I would add that Incra's two miter sleds are single runner. Having the Miter Express, I think it is an accurate tool.
My main one has one; just like Norm's first one. I have a sled I use for miter cuts I put 2 bars on it.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Well, I've made several w/ two runners - both have been quite stable and accurate - the main criterion is complete lack of any side motion as the sled is moved - if you can accomplish that w/ one slider, then not a problem - probably better w/ two sliders, though. Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
I've only used a one runner sled ever, and it's dead nuts 90ยบ.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have two, panel sled and the more conventional table saw sled. The panel sled, see Norm's, had one runner, used to cut things like panels for cabinet doors. Accuracy not that important, larger capacity, works great. The table saw sled, two runners, is normally used to cut shoulders on tenons is way too big. I will make a smaller one in the near future with a capacity of maybe 6". I will try to make sure it is dead accurate, will have two runners, and no side movement.
MBW: agree with your results.
I have a shop-made one with 2 miter bars that spans the blade. My other is a Dubby, with only one miter bar. The Dubby is dead nuts accurate, and the fence is adjustable to keep it that way. I do not use my Dubby for crosscuts on large panels or boards, however. I do have a shop made platform I use with my Dubby for the cutoff side that ensures any cutoffs don't bounce back and hit the blade.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I have a small and a big 2 runner sleds
Pushing on one side of a 1 runner sled, might cause it to ***** and not slide as easy.
Sometimes mainly on the small sled, which I use most, I like to hold the stock and push, closer to the blade, where with a 1 runner, would put all the push on 1 side of the runner, and wouldn't slide as easy.
Just a reasonable idea. I always had 2 runner sleds.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer