Drill Press - Bench Top - Best Options?
Just getting back into woodworking after a few years and there's nothing better to stimulate one's interest than buying some new tools -

I would like a new bench top drill press - currently own an AMT 12" w/ the standard belts for speed changes - I would like an electronic speed adjustment (seen that option in some older Delta & Steel City models) but seems not to be available - in fact, there appears to be little interest in innovating this basic shop tool in recent years - just my impression.

SO, what may be some of the better choices in this market - want at least a 12" (up to 15") brand/model - price range under $1000 (and preferably half that cost) - would like electronic speed changes but may not be available in that size model and/or at that price range. Accuracy is probably the most important desired feature - I could live w/ adjusting two belts. Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks. Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
Consider an older model Walker Turner, Buffalo, Rockwell, Delta or similar drill press. They are plentiful, inexpensive ( eBay, Craigslist) and light years better than the modern machines. "They don't build 'em like they used to" applies in spades here. You might have to spend a little time and money rehabbing an older machine, but it's easy to do and well worth the time and money. If you really want electronic speed control, you can equip on old press with a new motor and a VFD for not a whole lot of money - a lot less than you'd pay for a new press with electronic speed control. I rehabbed an early 1950's era Walker Turner bench top and I love it.

Hank Knight in SC said:

If you really want electronic speed control, you can equip on old press with a new motor and a VFD for not a whole lot of money - a lot less than you'd pay for a new press with electronic speed control.

That would be my suggestion, too, if you like doing that sort of thing. A solid, older machine with good quill bearings. A used 3-phase motor, which despite what many folks seem to think (looking at ebay, at least) just aren't worth much*, and a small VFD from Factorymation or others, and you're in business. Use the belt ratios to get in the general speed neighborhood for the work (slow for metal and large bits, faster for wood and small bits), and do the rest through the VFD.

*Industry wants nothing to do with someone's old small motor, and most hobbyists can't use them, other than really smart and resourceful woodworkers.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
giradman said:

there appears to be little interest in innovating this basic shop tool in recent years - just my impression.

A Powermatic VS 15" drill press used to cost the same thing as the Powermatic 66 table saw - about 3K in today's money. They innovated and put a VFD on their presses before DeVlieg-Bullard went bankrupt and had to sell off Powermatic to the highest bidder.

Point being that innovation and accuracy came at a cost the buyers weren't willing to pay for. The cheaply-made Asian imports are pretty much the last men standing. That's why a restoration of a used high quality USA-made press is about the only option for a good press at a low relative price.
Playing a bit the devil's advocate, how accurate do you need a drill press to be for woodworking purposes, or even general metal working? I suspect there are machines made with unacceptable run-out, but I've never used one. I find changing two belts to be a pretty easy operation, too, though I would have nothing against having a VFD. But for my needs I wouldn't pay much to get it - to Bob's point.

Whatever you buy, my advise is to get a floor model machine. Maybe 75% of my needs can be handled by a bench top machine, but the other 25% can't. That height under the quill makes it possible to drill in the end of legs, spindles, turnings, drawer boxes, etc. , which would be hard to do as quickly and accurately another way.

John
I went the vintage refurb route as well. I had a floor model 15" Craftsman with lasers and such. Great press, good accuracy but the 3ish" quill stroke was kind of a pain to keep adjusting. Drill a hole then have to rest the table to countersink. Got old quick.

I found a 60's Delta 15-665 15" bench top model. Cleaned, painted couple things, $100 for new Jacobs J33 chuck and 4 quill bearings and it runs like a top. Less than .001" runout makes hitting the mark with a brad point bit easy. The bench height has been an issue twice. I mounted mine on a rolling cabinet with the back of the base flush with the back of the cabinet. For the long pieces I pulled it out from the wall and spun the cabinet around. The drill head loosens and spun it around as well then I had all the way to the floor for clearance. I tilted the table 90 degrees and clamped the piece vertically to the table and rested it on a small stack of wood on the floor. Worked like a champ because my cabinet is heavy, if yours is light it could tip on you so be careful with that.

The 15-6xx series have a 6" quill stroke which saves lots of table movement. The 15-665 has a six step pulley and runs a single belt for speeds of 300-3500 if I remember right. The 15-655 is mechanical variable speed through a Reeves drive, parts for the drive are more expensive to replace.

They made a boatload of them over a lots of years so used parts are still pretty easy to find. Industrial models are plenty and quite a number of them are 3 phase so for about $120 more get you a 115v VFD and electronic variable speed.

If all you find is a floor model 15-6xx don't worry, you can move the head down and put it on a bench if you have the ceiling height. If you don't have the height you can cut the tube off or find someone to trade with.

Hope this helps.
B Retzinger said:

If all you find is a floor model 15-6xx don't worry, you can move the head down and put it on a bench if you have the ceiling height. If you don't have the height you can cut the tube off or find someone to trade with.

That's a good point. Most of the old iron bench tops were exactly the same as their floor standing cousins except for the length of the column. It's pretty easy to convert a floor standing press to a bench top; just cut off the column. It's not a hard job with a hack saw or an angle grinder and clean up with files. Or you can have your local machine shop cut it for you. Some floor models have bases that are larger than those on bench top presses, but you can live with that or find a replacement. They show up frequently on eBay. Just make sure the replacement fits your column.
TDKPE said:

[blockquote]Hank Knight in SC said:

If you really want electronic speed control, you can equip on old press with a new motor and a VFD for not a whole lot of money - a lot less than you'd pay for a new press with electronic speed control.

That would be my suggestion, too, if you like doing that sort of thing. A solid, older machine with good quill bearings. A used 3-phase motor, which despite what many folks seem to think (looking at ebay, at least) just aren't worth much*, and a small VFD from Factorymation or others, and you're in business. Use the belt ratios to get in the general speed neighborhood for the work (slow for metal and large bits, faster for wood and small bits), and do the rest through the VFD.

*Industry wants nothing to do with someone's old small motor, and most hobbyists can't use them, other than really smart and resourceful woodworkers.

[/blockquote]

Plus +1 gazillion

You can buy fractional horse power 3 phase motors for under $100 all day long. You can get TECO VFC for about $100. It gives you unlimited speed control and amazing torque at low rpm.

I did this to a Craftsman 150 DP a while back. It's 'da bomb

chris
jteneyck said:

Playing a bit the devil's advocate, how accurate do you need a drill press to be for woodworking purposes, or even general metal working? I suspect there are machines made with unacceptable run-out, but I've never used one. I find changing two belts to be a pretty easy operation, too, though I would have nothing against having a VFD. But for my needs I wouldn't pay much to get it - to Bob's point.

Whatever you buy, my advise is to get a floor model machine. Maybe 75% of my needs can be handled by a bench top machine, but the other 25% can't. That height under the quill makes it possible to drill in the end of legs, spindles, turnings, drawer boxes, etc. , which would be hard to do as quickly and accurately another way.

Thanks John & Others for your comments and suggestions - I'm on my third bench top DP (AMT from Taiwan 3/4 HP w/ 2 belts) - accuracy is fine and several years ago added the Woodpecker table below - a larger floor model would not fit my current basement location, and I've really not needed the features above (I use loose tenon & dowel jigs for most of my joinery).

I did look on Craig's List & eBay for 'used' American-made drill presses and completely agree w/ the comments on quality back then, but there was not much available and not sure that I want to 'wheel & deal' w/ a local over price, and then go through a restoration process.

My current DP is accurate for my needs but I've not tested since getting the table, so maybe that's my next step - electronic speed control is not that crucial in retrospect - I've changed the belts easily in the past. Thanks again. Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
B Retzinger said:

The 15-6xx series have a 6" quill stroke which saves lots of table movement. The 15-665 has a six step pulley and runs a single belt for speeds of 300-3500 if I remember right. The 15-655 is mechanical variable speed through a Reeves drive, parts for the drive are more expensive to replace.

This is good to know. The other day I stacked four 1x4's together to drill a hole thru all of them, and I had to shim them up part way thru to get all the way thru all 4 pieces with my little craftsman bench top model. I have mine on the right end of a bench, so if I REALLY need the height of a floor model, I can swing the head 90 deg and get it. Quill travel is by far the Achilles heel of smaller models...
Benny