so I guess the Borgs gave up on ABS?
I need a 1 1/2" coupler. The local plumbing place decided it was in their best interest to start abusing non-plumbers that have the temerity to try to give them money. Is there something wrong with ABS? Last time I needed some, the nearby lowes still had a section of it, but that was 7 hours from here. The local lowes doesn't seem to have any.
May not be legal to install anymore. NY banned that stuff years ago. I could still find it at one supplier for awhile, but now I have to do a mechanical (threaded) connection when repairing a home. The transition glue isnt allowed either.
-who?
It's not allowed by code in allot of the country. Here and many other places I have been it's not allowed to be used in houses only in trailer houses.

I haven't used it much because it's so rare and often more expensive than pvc. The only place I know here that carries any kind of selection is the only one true value left on this side of the metroplex and they cater to an area with trailers..
I ran into this about a month and a half ago while trying to tie-in a new sink sump pump to my existing ABS DWV piping. My only option was to buy a rubber Wye fitting as the transition from PVC to ABS.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
pprobus said:

My only option was to buy a rubber Wye fitting as the transition from PVC to ABS.

this. our old house was originally plumbed with ABS. Most of it's gone now. The transitions are all done with no-hub rubber fittings.
I can still get both at our BORG. I can get anything I want if I order on-line.

Being code or not is irrelevant. Our BORG sells non-code compliant lighting all the time. Besides, new code only applies to new things. No one is going to make you strip out ABS for PVC because it may not be in the latest code.

Its just whatever fits their financial model.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I expect it is a regional difference. ABS is the standard for DWV out here. I have never seen PVC used in that application.

What is the shortcoming of ABS? Is it temperature related?
Anak said:

I expect it is a regional difference. ABS is the standard for DWV out here. I have never seen PVC used in that application.

No clue, but I agree that ABS is more prevalent out here. PVC fittings in DVW sizes are available too, but there is less supply.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Anak said:

I don't know the answer, but PVC has been the predominant DWV piping for quite some time, now. When I noticed that I could not buy ABS fittings, I pulled out my trusty B&D Complete Guide to Plumbing, which I bought last year, so it was the latest edition as of then, and it stated in there that ABS is no longer acceptable by code in most jurisdictions (big DOH when I read that, then looked at Family Handyman website to find out what to use instead). I agree that it only applies to new installations or renovations where you are removing the existing system completely, but if you can't get ABS, you can't exactly make even small changes easy.

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
If a rubber coupling would do the job to get you going and you can't find any- you can cut a piece of a used radiator hose you saved from your vehicle and get two clamps.
Use code specified SS clamps.