Oneida v3000 hookup issue
Hi all,
I am finally getting to hooking up this dust collector that I had purchased about a year back.
I was planning to look it up with six-inch PVC foam core (already purchased) and the standard six-inch fittings available from big box stores (shipped, on the way).
Here the problem:
1. The inlet on the dust collector is just a hair over 6 inches, so the six-inch PVC I have won't cover it. In addition the exposed lip of the inlet is only about half an inch long. So even if I send it down the six-inch PVC, there would be a very small overlap, I am concerned about how strong this joint would be.
2. Dust collector came with a metal 6-5"reducer that basically fits inside the dust collector inlet. Obviously I don't want to run 5 inch pipe for airflow reasons, plus I am pretty committed to the six-inch (after I got about 60 feet of the same).
3. The six-inch fittings - y's, 45s and connectors, are clearly going to be too large at about 6.5inch ID.

any ideas on how to sort this out?
Curious to hear how others have approached this?
I have contacted OAS as well and they didn't have an immediate solution to this but will work on it to see what they can come up with.
The Apple wont fall;
Let's go and shake the tree.
Here are my thoughts: you want the DC inlet to be the female side of the connection, so maybe cutting slits in the foam core and squeezing it down to fit inside the collector inlet would work (?). The only "strength" that you should worry about is that it's air tight. Once your ducting is in place and secured everything is going to be pretty rigid. But if you're worried run some (short) sheet metal screws into the fitting. Are the fittings you bought for thinwall pipe? In any case for the duct work fittings you'll have to fill the gap in whatever method you find acceptable. That could be as simple as lots of duct tape or some other method. You could buy short piece of 6" PVC that fits the fittings, cut a 3" (+/-) piece of it, put it in the fitting, and then try to put the foam core into it. There are several hundred other ways to do it, but maybe that's a start.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
On my V-3000 I used a 6" flex coupling.
http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/rou...859315870851669

I however had about an inch of the inlet lip sticking out.
I thought the rubber coupling would also provide some vibration dampening.
Dan
Thanks for the quick reply folks!

Update: OAS got back to me and said they could supply a 6'-6" Metal connector with crimped ends that would go inside the DC inlet and also inside the 6" PVC. They are happy to supply this for $11. I said I will be right over to pick this up but they have a 48 hr wait period on pickups!!
So I have to wait till Monday! PITA but at least I have a decent solution.

Now I am worried about the fittings - if they will be oversized for the foam where the OD is on 6.5". I guess I will be using the duct/electrical tape option.
This is frustrating. Why there isn't some standard in the PVC ducting industry?
The Apple wont fall;
You want to use aluminum ducting tape for this.
WoodTinker
nocrapman said:

I guess I will be using the duct/electrical tape option.

Use real "duct" tape, the metal foil stuff used by the pros. Not the cheaper "Duck" tape, made from cotton duck, with the silver finish. The adhesive will let go after a short while, leaving a bunch of goo behind. The real stuff is intended for long-term (permanent) duct connections.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Are you referring to the metal duct tape used in HVAC connections?

I have a bigger problem - all my connections came in; all undersize. Basically the connections are the same size as my pipe. No way I can get one into another.
Thankfully I can just take them back to lowes.
I don't know how to get this right....
Very annoying.
Wish I had just gone to Oneida and bought their overpriced metal ducting.
The Apple wont fall;
At he box stores there are generally 2 schedules of PVC fittings. The first is the heavier one for pressure plumbing and other uses (I guess) and it won't fit any of the thinwall (the second common size) pipe very well. The thinwall is mostly used for drains and soil pipe, it has several names but one of them is DWV for drain,waste vent. I don't which of these groups the foam core belongs to. I used ASTM D 2729 which is a thinwall and the fittings worked as you would expect. It sounds as if the foam core is a thinwall and the fittings you bought are schedule 80 or something.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.