Any better way of sanding this?
I was watching Popular Woodworking with Tim Yoder where he did a banksia pod and inlaid it with turquoise crystals. I liked the way it turned out so I thought I would try making a few of them as Christmas gifts.
I turned the pod, cleaned the holes, put in the crystals, then used thin CA glue. I got clumps of the turquoise hardened on top of the holes. I then sanded with some 80 grit sandpaper I had. After about twenty straight minutes I got most of the errant turquoise off the pod, but I also had ragged turquoise surface in the holes. I then had to re-install the crystals and start over again. The extensive use of the 80 grit is very hard on the pod, but if I use a higher grit, either it won't remove the ca encased crystals or it will take a year.

Any thoughts on how to do this better?
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
Use a scraper
Could you do the filling before your final cuts? Not familiar with the technique so just guessing.
Steve K

Joe

This is what I have done with using it and powered metals too.

I use a scrapper to knock off the big stuff first then go to the bowl gouge but not to finish it off just leave it where most of it is gone but just enough that you can start with 120 grit.
No heavy hand is needed just go slowly and change the grit and my 320 all of it should be done. I still go down to 600 or better on most of my turnings but that is just me.

The best scrapper is a Negative Rake Scrapper to do it with.

Arlin

O and PS If holes are to deep I always pack the bottoms of the holes with shavings so it does not take to much of the expensive stuff.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks Arlin, I will give it a try.

Joe
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill