Another Rockler rant.
Its amazing how they just keep not appealing to me.

a few years back the opened a larger store here locally, and since then in the move to be more corporate just turns me off.

Well long story short I decided to get the RT package they had on sale in October for $299 because it was just cheaper to cash and carry versus building another one.

Just opened it yesterday. Stand was really nice....heavy duty. Table fine, fence ok.

But wait.....you have to buy the plastic dust collection hookup separately? Huh?

Do they expect people to use a RT fence with a huge hole in the back? So $120 for a fence, and you need to go back for a $1 hunk of abs plastic that they charge $10.

Chit, charge $130 for the darn fence and include the connector in the box.

Really wish the clerk said "Hey, do you use a DC because the fence doesnt come with the hookup, make sure to grab one." No, thats would make too much sense.

Stupid.

I feel better now.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

The product description says it doesn't come with a dust port. Curiously, the package for just the table alone does come with the dust port. Go figure. It's things like this that have taught me to double check the specs on what I buy before I hit the button.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I go to the Rockler store in Burnsville every time I visit my daughter and family in Savage. I have never been disappointed with the selection or the staff. Seems I always leave with more than I went for - just like at the grocery store when I stop for bread and milk.
I find myself doing less business with Rockler and more with Woodcraft simply because the selection is better and the staff is a lot more helpful.

That probably doesn't help you much as it's a haul from Oakdale to Bloomington.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
My local Rockler (Amherst, NY) is a corp. owned store. That in itself is amazing. It's the only one in NYS and there ain't another one for hundreds of miles. Friendly and mostly knowledgeable people, good selection most of the time, and typically higher prices than I can get the same thing for if I buy it on the net. Surprisingly, their price on GF's finishing products is typically lower than places on the net, that's after I pay NYS sales tax compared to the price + shipping from someone out of state. So I buy most of my GF products from them, especially in the winter so I can eliminate worries of receiving frozen packages. Their silicone glue paddle/brush is one of my personal favorite items. No complaints here.

They are local and have been for a very long time. Woodcraft came and went within a couple of years.

John
Me too. I try to make a trip there twice a year. But I do order a fair bit of stuff from their website. Frankly they have much better stuff.

One of the things that bothers me most about Rockler, is they have a simple jig, that is simple to make, and would be $10 in parts, and they sell it for $60-70. I get the sense their business model has evolved to target weekend hobby guys that dont either have the time, or skill to make the stuff rather than dealing with a pro, or advanced woodworker. Its like using black and decker tools after using Festool for 10 years. I guess there is a market for that, them staying open proves that, its just not for me.

The other thing, most of the higher end stuff is gone. The workers arent really knowledgeable least at my store. Woodcraft on the other hand is the opposite. Last time I was in there I had a 10 minute conversation with the owner about marquetry and actually peaked my interest.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I hate when stores do that kind of stuff. When they sell hinges w/o the screws???? But then sometimes you get a deal when they include stuff you'll never use or throw in an extra bolt - then you wonder what you left off.

I bought an above ground pool package several years ago. It included everything except a special electrical pigtail to connect the timer to a outdoor plug. They wanted something like $15 for it. I just spent over 3k and they couldn't include a 15 dollar plug? I convinced them to throw that in for free.

Car stores do that all the time also.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I went there to buy 6" ROS sandpaper a few months ago. I thought being a woodworking store they'd have it in stock. I thought wrong. They even had THREE different 6" ROS for sale there. I guess if you buy one you have to stop at HD or Lowe's on the way home and get sand paper for it. I sent an email to corporate about it to which they never replied.
I think you are always talking staff when having these type discussions. I go to Rockler Cinci, and WoodCraft Dayton just because the morons who are at WoodCraft Cinci would do just what your guy did, but the Rockler guys, and the Dayton WoodCraft guys would have said, oh hey, ya need a dust chute for your DC.

That said I haven't seen it on other Rockler set ups like I have with their router table stuff, but they never sell you everything you need to make it work, not sure why, but they are gonna make you spend a few more cents on something, and I agree if you aren't told, you would assume. Pics of the product don't tell the story either, because they frequently show optional items, without letting you know they are optional. It sux to find it out, when you are back home, and opening the box.

They are however, very responsive to well written complaints. I am probably not the only person who yelled when they recently had deals on the SuperMax 19/38 wide belt sander these were always showing it with the 100 dollar optional in/outfeed tables. Absolutely nothing in writing, on the tool, or elsewhere that they were an option. I yelled pretty loud, and while I still had to buy the tables, I got a, ahem, little something something from Rockler for my trouble. So BIOTCH yer head off. Squeaky wheel gets greased
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Not sure which Rockler store Packerguy is disappointed in. The Maplewood store has a huge selection of high end stationary power tools; including a 37" Safety Speed wide belt sander for just under $9000. The staff there are quite capable, as are the other 2 Rockler stores in the Twin Cities. Most of them are semi pro or former pro woodworkers.
The Woodcraft store is also quite good. Minnesota is very lucky to have 4 stores to choose from.