Best/Adequate ply for Tablesaw Extension Cabinet?
I'm going to build Fine Woodworking's version of the TS Ext. Table. The author suggests Baltic Birch which I have used on other stuff and I can get 4 x 8 sheets here locally for about $55 a sheet. However its not nearly as convenient to get. They're only open M-F during the day. I can also get Sandply, Arruco ply, or hardwood ply from the local box stores. I have used all 3 of those.

Is Baltic really that necessary? Understand screws are used to hold most of this together.

For the top he suggests phenolic ply which is not ready available. It is a sawstop which is mostly black and I can get black formica easily.

Suggestions?
I doubt you're getting real Baltic Birch for $55 a sheet. It's more like $80-100 a sheet. BB has more plys and it's nearly void-free. Very important if you plan to screw things together, since you don't know where the voids are until you cut it. I use 3/4" for the carcases on my shop cabinets, and 1/2" for the drawers or shelves.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Imported russian baltic birch only comes in 5'X5' typically. The quality of the BORG (Menards in my case) 4X8 baltic birch is not the same as the higher quality 5X5 stuff I get from woodworking stores. YMMV. That being said the faux baltic birch I get works pretty darn well. Menards Arruco ply here gets pretty bowed easily. Id use the faux BB before the Arruco. You will determine for yourself how valued you time is in building the table with material you may have issues with later. If it works for you then knock yourself out.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The BB they quoted me has more defects on the surface which is why it might be cheaper but it is from Russell Plywood who I think are pretty reputable and I have bought their 5 x 5 BB before.
Do you really need great quality ply? Wouldn't shop grade work?

On a side note if you don't mind a little more work I would suggest making a torsion box top. Dead flat, extremely durable and can be made out of mdf. I made a large one for my outfeed table and it doubles as my assembly table and work bench. To utilize the space better you can put cabinets underneath it
I don't think I need mega quality plywood. I have a 4 by 8 mega worktable. It was made out of 6 sheets of 3/4 ply, 3/4 mdf on top with 1/4 hardboard on top of that. it is a beast.

Link to FWW outfeed. It has drawers etc.

FWW outfeed table
For shop cabinets I use the Sande Plywood from Home Depot.

It's not great, but it's serviceable for shop furniture.

I used it to make the base for my bandsaw:

cheers,
chris
Dittos on what Chris ^ said.
If you have a Home Depot available they have imported ply they call "birch" that I've used for shop cabs. Its ok except the veneer is extremely thin.

Just beware of glue resins I always were a respirator when messing with plywood or MDF.
That work 4 x 8 work table that I built is made out of sandply. We have several HD around here and I am almost on a first name basis.
I just looked at my sandply and it looks like 3/4 has 9 layers and the 1/2 inch has 7 layers. No wonder it's like $45 right now. Looks like this will fit the bill.