thoughts on the "horror" freight full size router table
I picked up one of the triton routers that someone here mentioned being discounted. My router table is junk and I am looking to replace it. Is the harbor freight one worth looking into? With a $25% coupon, taxes and freight it is $173. Anyone know if it will take a standard plate that would fit the triton router? Any better options out there for that price or less?

link to harbor freight

Thanks, Bob
That's a pretty small table, and it already comes with only a 1 HP router. (Compare their 18" x 27" table to Rockler's 24" x 32" table.) I doubt it has an insert like most other router tables. Looks like the router might directly bolt on to the underside of the table. I'd pass.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've seen them in the stores. I'd look elsewhere. Just doesn't look solid to me. Looks like a toy or something. I'd save a little bit more coin or build my own versus spending $175 on that one. Now i might would drop $100 on it, but 175 is too steep to me.

I'm not a HF hater either lest I be accused of that. I've got their dust collector and a few paint guns...just not a fan of that router table.
-Marc

bobs64ford352 said:

I picked up one of the triton routers that someone here mentioned being discounted. My router table is junk and I am looking to replace it. Is the harbor freight one worth looking into? With a $25% coupon, taxes and freight it is $173. Anyone know if it will take a standard plate that would fit the triton router? Any better options out there for that price or less?

link to harbor freight

Thanks, Bob

Bought one about 8-9 years ago, didn't even bother to sell it, gave it away then moved so he wouldn't bring it back.

They used to have a cast iron table for around $200 that would pair nicely with the triton.

45470 was their item number, but now I can't seem to find it.

On a related note, it's rather sad that I recall their item number 46146 for the cast iron table saw wing drilled for a router...
They discontinued that one at least 8-10 years ago also.

Duke

Edit to add looks like grizzly sells the H7505 which looks like the same casting as the HF 45479.
check craigslist first.
http://maine.craigslist.org/tls/5333185228.html
Thanks, I haven't checked CL in a couple weeks and usually it is dried up, for what I need or it is 3-4 hours away. Lewiston is about an hour from me, I might look into that one.

Bob
I would skip the HF and go with the Bench Dog 40-001 for 300 http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-40-001-C...ds=router+table

Or one of the Bosch tables:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1181-Bench...ds=router+table

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1171-Cabin...ds=router+table

I owned the Bench Dog table, very nice construction, but the top is small, as are the other two.
I have the Bosch RA1171. I've been meaning to build a router table for years to replace my ancient Craftsman, but just never seemed to get around to it. I saw the Bosch, marked down at Lowes one day and decided to pick it up. It's more than adequate for my needs and a quantum leap above that old Craftsman POJ. It might not serve the needs of an advanced user or someone who subjects a table to heavy use, but it has some nice features for the price.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Based on your reference in the thread title, "horror" freight" I think you already had your answer.
See ya later,
Bill
If funds are that tight, I would build your own. Buy a piece of MDf, laminate, a router bit to rabbet out the hole in the top, a couple clamps or hardware for the fence you make, and some 2x4's for the base, won't cost that much. Plus, it will be bigger than the small benchtop tables that have been linked here. Later on, when you have a few more bucks, you can build a nice cabinet for it.

Of course you still need a plate. Just realize that not all plates are a standard size, so keep that in mind. If later, you decide you want a particular lift like a Woodpeckers PRL-V2 for your router, it may not match up to your original plate.