Festool vacuum question
I'm getting ready to buy my Christmas present - a domino, and I figure if the saying is "buy once, cry once" I may as well go all out.

The question is relating to the vacuums. # 1 - is it worth getting the festool vac over the fein?
#2 - do the chips go into a bag that has to be replaced every time it fills up? That sounds like a pain.
#3 - if this vac is going to be used primarily for sanding and the occasional domino, do I really need the bigger ones or can the small unit serve the purpose. How would that suggestion change if I decide to add a kapex at some point in the future and hook it up to that?

Thanks
I use mine (Domino) on a small Fein and have no problems, and that's with a bag in the unit. I don't repalce my bags every time. The get re-used twice. The first time I cut on end off, empty it and then glue and clamp it back together. The second time it's the other end...then it gets tossed. At least for the Fein bags, Amazon has them at a more reasonable cost. I did have to put a wrap or 2 of duct tape around the tool's outlet to better fit my Fein hose.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've been using an older model Fein Turbo II for many years. I use it almost exclusively with my Domino. I've attached an Oneida Dust Deputy to the Fein. Works very well and no bags.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

I've the older Festool mini with a dust deputy on it and use it on some heavy dust producers without problems. Some of the newer Festool vacs have self cleaning filters and eliminate most needs for bags. The big advantage I see to the Festool vacs are that they can be turned on automatically when the tool is and the variable suction. The adjustable suction can be worked around and is only important for the sanders. As for needing one of the larger vacs on a Kapex etc. I don't see it. I use my mini on my Rikon disk/belt sander and it works fine also with my router tables.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Once you start accumulating Festool you'll be glad you have the matching dust extractor so everything stacks and stores nicely. I thought it was overpriced when I bought my dust extractor with the equally overpriced Domino, the longer I own them the more I appreciate the design and forget about the price. The bags don't fill quickly with the Domino and you'll be buying yourself a sander for next Xmas.

Obviously the Fien will work but I'm glad I have the Festool.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
I use my $50 Ridgid shop vac and a hose adapter with my domino XL. Works great.
It takes about 15 seconds to replace the bag on my Ct26. It's nothing like the disaster that is putting bags in regular shop vacs. Based on what it do I think it's easier to replace a bag than dump the container. I use bags in my shop vac too of clean up.
-Marc

Can't speak to the Fein vac. I spent about 4 or 5 years telling myself that I did not need a $400 vacuum for the garage.shop. Finally broke down and bought a 6" Rotex and a CT26 (mid size) vac. Very happy I did. It now gets used with the 2 Green sanders, a router, and the TS55 track saw. Changing bags is fast and painless - not required very often.

JMHO & YMWV
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
We use a Fein hooked up to our Festool rotary disc sander ( not the Rotex, our's is meant for aggressive work). We used one of Rockler's all purpose coupling kits to connect them. It works just fine.
If you go apples to apples and add the cost of a hepa filter to the Fein, most of the price difference disappears.
Dust extractors(Fein, Festool, Bosch) are much more powerful and costlier than shop vacs
It's much more than a "vacuum". It's a dust collector. I opted for the Festool CT33 and I've never looked back. Quiet, efficient, and as already mentioned, your Festool cases snap onto the top of the Festool dust collector. I also like the variable suction, which REALLY helps a lot with my Festool sander.

Here's a pretty good comparison between Festool and Fein:

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/the-best-i...vs-festool
Still Learning,

Allan Hill