So don't cut insulation board on the SS
I had glued up 1 inch foam board to a piece of paneling and was going to trim it but as soon the the SS touched the foam board it triggered it. The only damage to the WWII was one of the carbides came off. I'll probably send it in to get it fixed etc.

The foam insulation board is what you use on the outside of the house when building and it does have that foil which may fall under "conductive" and that's what set it off.

On a side note it is re-assuring that the SS stopped that blade so fast it was unreal.
I cut a few dozen sheets of DOW/Owens extruded polystyrene (blue and pink) and black backed Poly ISO insulation on my ICS with zero issue. No metal in mine and no foil. Sorry to hear about you setting off your brake.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

This may be in error, but I read (on the internet, so it has to be true ) that the metal has to be touching the table to trigger the brake. For example, an imbedded nail wouldn't set it off. Any opinions on this?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

This may be in error, but I read (on the internet, so it has to be true ) that the metal has to be touching the table to trigger the brake. For example, an imbedded nail wouldn't set it off. Any opinions on this?

As one who has set the brake off with my Incra 1000SE extruded aluminum fence, I can also attest to how quickly that whole process takes place.

Anything that causes the voltage drop that the sensor can detect will trigger the brake. If the embedded nail is also in contact with the table, but not the operator, I think the brake would fire. I think I'll refrain from conducting the experiment.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Metal must touch the blade to set off the brake. The brake does not get set off being "around" metal. In this case he cut the aluminum skin of the insulation.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

You can defeat the braking mechanism for those cuts. Check your owner's manual for how to do that. One reason they have that option is that every so often, you may need to cut green wood, or cut aluminum, etc.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
WxMan said:

[blockquote]fredhargis said:

As one who has set the brake off with my Incra 1000SE extruded aluminum fence, I can also attest to how quickly that whole process takes place.

Anything that causes the voltage drop that the sensor can detect will trigger the brake. If the embedded nail is also in contact with the table, but not the operator, I think the brake would fire. I think I'll refrain from conducting the experiment.

[/blockquote]
As soon as it I heard that thud, I thought Oh shoot that stupid brake went off. But then I thought wow that was fast and if it had been my finger.. What went through your mind when yours went off?
fredhargis said:

If the blade hits the imbedded nail, the brake will be triggered. Been there, done that. And as macpiano said, with lightning speed. Another time, a fellow working with me tried to put my Kreg aluminum miter gauge through the blade and you can hardly find the scratch before the blade went down.
From the SS web site:

"Generally, the safety system will not activate when a nail or staple is cut. Although conductive, these objects are not large enough to cause the safety system to activate unless they are grounded to the table or operator when they contact the blade."

I've cut through embedded nails and staples before and not triggered the system. Guess it all depends on the exact circumstance.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
WxMan said:

From the SS web site:

"Generally, the safety system will not activate when a nail or staple is cut. Although conductive, these objects are not large enough to cause the safety system to activate unless they are grounded to the table or operator when they contact the blade."

I've cut through embedded nails and staples before and not triggered the system. Guess it all depends on the exact circumstance.

It was the grounding (or lack of) to which I refer. Interesting, I have no plans to confirm or deny what happens.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.