Grizzly 0513 BS problem
I was resawing some 6" red oak on my Grizzly 0513 when I saw the blade kind of curve towards the fence (to the left). I stopped the machine and pulled the board out, quickly inspected the BS, flipped the board end for end and tried again. This time, though, I start seeing yellow strands of plastic coming down the blade. Shut off again because I know that must be from the tire on the top wheel--it was.

So some background. 10 year old BS using a 1/2" skip tooth blade--probably as old as the saw. I had already cut 6 boards (8' long) prior to this 7th board.

When I opened the top door, I see the tire had half rolled off the wheel--towards the saw--and was getting shredded like long strips of paper somehow. The bottom wheel wasn't shredded but it had rolled off, too.

I reseated the tires and blade, checked the guides top and bottom, tensioned the blade and spun the wheels by hand to check that the blade was tracking in the center. I did have to adjust the top tracking knob.

So I turned it on and let it run on its own for a few seconds when I see more shredded wheel coming down and that both tires have rolled off again.

So what's going on? I hadn't adjusted the blade tension knob since I started resawing today.

Are the tires toast? I'm sure it's time for a new blade, too. I don't want to put a new blade on the saw if there's a bigger problem here.

Thanks,
Paul
Throw the urethane tires in the trash, glue on some real rubber tires, crown them and get back to cutting wood.

Greg
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
you need to replace the tires and the band.

I doubt there is much that really went wrong other than the saw has a band on it that is as old as the saw. and 10 yrs is a long time for a band...

I wold also expect replacement tires will be urethane unless you want to dig around on the net and frankly I have both on two different saws and see no difference between them
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Urethane tires on 2 machines. No problems.
Make sure you aren't over-tensioned. That can stretch the tires and cause the problems you have.
I think ten years with one blade probably never having been taken off the tires is a reasonable amount of time to expect before they came apart. Tens years for a set of tires seems better than average on WN.

Are you gonna replace that blade when you replace the tires?
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
I have the GO 5013, and the upper tire just came off on its own a year or two ago. I replaced the tires and it is working fine. I suggest you get new tires and you should be good to go.
barryvabeach said:

I have the GO 5013, and the upper tire just came off on its own a year or two ago. I replaced the tires and it is working fine. I suggest you get new tires and you should be good to go.

Did you just get Grizzly replacements or from another source? Never realized until today that 17" bandsaws are rare birds.
The top tire on my 5013x2 started to "roam" off the wheel. No damage to it but it wouldn't stay put. I put some spray adhesive on the back of it and put it back on. No problems since.
Paul, sorry, wish I could remember where I got them from. They are gray, so it is possible I bought them from Grizzly. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Urethane...ir-/T23071

Paul, I just checked, I bought the gray tire from Grizzly. Only the top one went bad, and I still have the bag with the extra tire I bought from Grizzly.
You did good to get 10 years out of the yellow tires, mine lasted 5 years before the yellow tire snaked out one morning!
Could not fine urethane 17" at the time, so replaced with the grey Griz ones.