3-drawer chest... Eastlake style?
What is this thing?

Maple drawer fronts show evidence of former Eastlake-style bails, replaced with plain maple knobs.

I saw this at a garage sale, and the more I looked at it, the more confused I got. After a lot of googling, I think it's a Eastlake-style 3-drawer chest, made in the early 1900's, and then stripped and refinished, but not recently. It lacks the more-typical projecting top drawer ("frieze" drawer) and/or pediments on the posts.

The top appears to be original and is made of cherry. Interior shows attachment with glued blocks. Back shows evidence of cleats for glove boxes or a wide vanity mirror. The top shows damage to back left corner, perhaps dating from the onset of 7 years of bad luck.

Side frames-and-panels are flat, no splits. The stiles feature two flutes, and corner blocks underneath suggest there used to be casters (now nailed-on metal glides).

(click to zoom)

Each drawer features typical Eastlake horizontal reeding and an applied diamond wooden escutcheon:

Bullet catches are installed in top edge of the drawer front, perhaps to keep drawers in place while... what? Moving in a Conestoga Wagon?!?

Drawers are separated by plain dividers without dust boards. Skirt features reeding, spoon carving, incised lines and early-american cut in (bevel-ogee-flat-ogee-bevel):

Unmarked brass locksets are installed in dovetail-shaped mortises:

There are no strike plates for lockset; instead, there is a shallow groove in the divider above.

Drawer sides and bottoms are made of solid poplar. Bottoms are secured by grooves in sides and nails into back. Machine dovetailing gives post-1890 date, lack of plywood suggests pre-1920 date:

The drawer runners are way too short, secured by a nail through the back, and glue blocks to the side panel:

And check out the only marking on this piece:

After realigning the three, nay FOUR failed attempts:

...I think it says "H & Co." They must have been so proud. XD

It seems like the incoherent/reduced styling, simplistic construction and too-short drawer runners suggest the maker was a low-quality furniture manufacturer that used labor-saving dovetail machines, and saved even more money by employing workers who couldn't swing a hammer.

I think if I simply strip the pink finish, disassemble and reglue the carcase, repair the worn drawer sides and runners, restore the drawer stops, casters and Eastlake bails, and tone and shellac the mis-matched woods, I could easily have silk purse:

Ok, maybe I'll just start from scratch.
Tongue

Anybody else have any ideas on classifying the piece, or recognize the "H & Co." mark? Anybody else want it?

Thanks,
/dev
I don't disagree with your observations. It's worth fixing. If you like it, fix it.
I don't know why the bullet catches are there BTW.
Thanks, Paul.

I think I figured out why it's so pink-looking. After looking at the pics a little more closely, I think it was painted like this at one time:

Usually when something gets stripped, you can find little bits in dents or nail holes. I was looking for white specks, so I assumed the pink tint was in the finish. I think the unprimed wood was painted mostly red, and it absorbed some of the red paint. That would require sanding and scraping to get rid of it, or I'd have to compensate with green.

It's starting to look like the "money pit" of antiques.
No it's not.
It ain't so bad. There has been way worse.
Looks very similar to my grandparent's bedroom set. They were married in Klamath Falls, Oregon during WWI and so, your time-frame seems about right. I believe it is all cherry and single v. reddish color. Will take a look when I'm over at my parent's house where my sister has it set up. Will check construction details on drawers. Could supply some photos if interested.
Definitely worth refinishing, go for it.
We have one similar.
Tom Stutz said:

Looks very similar to my grandparent's bedroom set.... Will check construction details on drawers. Could supply some photos if interested.

Yes, please. I have googled until Google said "No More Results", and I haven't found anything identical. This is close, but obviously a high-end model.

Look for that maker's mark, too.

Thanks!
/dev
I hope that you want to know about the maker's mark just to satisfy your curiousity. As your earlier post points out, this never was anything more than a rather plain, ordinary, mass manufactured cabinet. I don't mean to deliberately sound too harsh, just wouldn't want you to believe that Eastlake style cabinets are intrinsically primo, or desirable.
It's a nice, quaint chest of drawers; something nostalgic, a piece of Americana, nothing more.
The poor construction (drawer runners you pointed out) is not inconsistent with what one would expect. Without too much difficulty, you could upgrade that. If you prefer, you could repair it "fully authentic."
Don't believe for a minute that my post indicates disdain for this cabinet. I like all cabinets, and I do mean all. I love Eastlake, and I think it would be a cool project.
Good luck.
If it was originally on casters, the bullet catches make sense to prevent the drawers from moving around while the chest was being transported from room to room.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill