Bandsaw wheel cleaning brush
Anybody have any luck with Carter brushes or others keeping the wheel clean ?
Always wonder if they worth a flip,but I guess its good to remove some dust before it gets to the blade.But wonder if it is stiff enough to remove dust after it makes the trip around the blade between the blade and the wheel.I seen a pic of one where a plastic tooth brush was heated and bent to mount.
Catch 22,to stiff and over little time have grooves,to soft just don't work.Still a good ideal---Carroll
I used a cheap chip brush from HF. Just cut off the handle and drilled a hole in the ferrule. There was a convenient spot at the rising side of the lower wheel that I was able to bolt it to. Easy and quick mod that did make a difference.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I have one installed and I find it to be totally useless. The wheels still accumulate sawdust after nearly every use. I usually just take a card scraper and manually rotate the wheels to remove any stuck on debris. Problem is the brush hairs are too soft and pliable to really remove anything. I haven't tried mounting a stiff bristle brush, but I suspect a very stiff brush would work a lot better.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
>>>> but I suspect a very stiff brush would work a lot better.

I use a stiff tooth brush. Heated and bent the handle, Drilled two small holes in the handle and drilled and tapped two holes in the saw frame.

Works pretty well. Only marginal remove resin coated dust from wood like pine.
Howie.........
Howard Acheson said:

>>>> but I suspect a very stiff brush would work a lot better.

I use a stiff tooth brush. Heated and bent the handle, Drilled two small holes in the handle and drilled and tapped two holes in the saw frame.

Works pretty well. Only marginal remove resin coated dust from wood like pine.

This is exactly what I did and it works fine.
Joseph Connors

The new Golden Rule .....
Those with the Gold make the rules!
Thanks everybody for your input, I thought the brush was totally useless and even if you did use a stiffer brush it will still wear out.
I got into the habit of cleaning my lower wheel every day before I use it.
Has anyone thought about mounting one so it cleans the inside of the blade just before it contacts the wheel?
Benny

bennybmn said:

Has anyone thought about mounting one so it cleans the inside of the blade just before it contacts the wheel?

Wouldn't this just drop whatever it brushed off right onto the wheel?
Depends on your dust collection
But yea, it certainly could...
Benny