Pen Blanks
I have some curly cherry left over from a Blanket chest build and I want to cut it up for pen blanks. It is planned to 3/4" so I'm assuming that I would create 3/4 by 3/4 blanks, but how long should I make them?

I don't know what types of pens I'd make, or might end up with some many blanks that I'd sell some.

So 3/4 by 3/4 and 6 inches long, does that sound correct?
Yeah, 6" is plenty long for pen blanks.
Make sure to cut with the grain lengthwise.
Cross grain and cut on a bias can be interesting. Strength isn't an issue with a pen.

Twinn
Will post for food.
theeviltwinn said:

Cross grain and cut on a bias can be interesting. Strength isn't an issue with a pen.

Twinn

It is when you're turning it.
If 6" is too long I can cut them any length, just need flexibility.

Some of my scrap pieces are 40" long so I'll get multiple blanks from one cut-off.
Send them to me for proper disposal.
Herb G said:

[blockquote]theeviltwinn said:

Twinn

It is when you're turning it.

[/blockquote]

Sharp tools, light touch and good to go.
Usually more interesting figure too.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Herb

Twin is right.

If it is cut from 15* to 30* it shows the figure a lot better. We have never used Cherry before so I am looking forward to seeing how they look when you post a pen.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
been a long time since I've done pens. But, a couple of my favorites were crosscut cocobolo and bias cut zebrawood.
I stand corrected. But strength it still a factor, at least to me.
I've split, cracked, and blown out more pen blanks than the law allows.