Shop update
I moved into my new house just over a year ago. My shop space was in the basement at my old house which was nice because it was climate controlled but the down side was the dust floating around the house. When we moved I decided that I did not want to have any part of the shop in the basement because of the dust.

The new house only has a non insulated/heated two car garage. I really pushed for a three car garage while we were looking for a house but had to compromise the third stale for a house on a cul-da-sac. My plan for the garage was to make as much multifunctional space so if I needed to do any work on my car I had a solid work bench area that I did not have to worry about causing damage. I still have some work to do but so far the layout is working at this time.

Back Wall:

Outside Wall:

I created a simple bench along the back wall of my garage on the side that I park my car since I could spare the 24" and our other vehicle is a Toyota Sienna van. I made the bench tall enough to hide my table saw and router table when not in use. I also put my mitersaw on a spare piece of MDF I had sitting around so that I can tuck it away under the bench as well and take it out when needed. I use the B&D portable work stand for my miters and planner. Weather permitting I do as much cutting and planning outside.

One idea I had but have not had a chance to get to was to put the router table on some sort of drawer slides to pull out and not have it on a stand sitting on the floor.
The cars & toys have to go.
More room for your toys that way.
I think we all discussed this a while back, but I have my shop in my basement and have never had a problem with dust getting anywhere else in the house. I remember many others saying the same. I don't know the particulars of your old house, nor your new one, but I would look hard at putting your new shop in the basement, assuming you have one. Alternatively, I would exile the car from the garage and add heat and AC to it so you can set up your stationary tools and work year round in comfort. Number one for me, though, is my nice dry, heated basement shop.

John
I love my basement shop! I do wish it was a little it bigger though.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Well it looks like there is a lot of room to add things later and you are well on your way. Good luck and do not worry to much about space for kids since it looks like you are a daddy of little kids which come first anyway.

Hope to see what you make later.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
jteneyck said:

I think we all discussed this a while back, but I have my shop in my basement and have never had a problem with dust getting anywhere else in the house. I remember many others saying the same. I don't know the particulars of your old house, nor your new one, but I would look hard at putting your new shop in the basement, assuming you have one. Alternatively, I would exile the car from the garage and add heat and AC to it so you can set up your stationary tools and work year round in comfort. Number one for me, though, is my nice dry, heated basement shop.

John

I will have a small unfinished room in my basement that will allow me some flexibility for work on some small projects. One of the problems I have with working in the basement is access. I don't have a straight shot down the stairs at the top or bottom which makes it tricky navigating .
hubaseball said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

John

I will have a small unfinished room in my basement that will allow me some flexibility for work on some small projects. One of the problems I have with working in the basement is access. I don't have a straight shot down the stairs at the top or bottom which makes it tricky navigating .

[/blockquote]

I'm in the same boat as far as the stairs. I can barely turn a piece of plywood around the corner at the top to go down the stairs. Any piece of lumber longer than about 10' I have to shuttle in through a glass block vent window in the shop. And you should have seen what it took to get my new 750 lb J/P down the steps. But I somehow manage, and it's a pretty swell place to be when it's zero outside.

John