How do I get a good CA finish?
I've turned some banksia pods for Christmas gifts. After turning, I sanded to 7000. While turning slowly (500 rpm) I put ca on a paper towel and put a thin coat on the pod. After four coats, the finish is dull. How can I get it to look like plastic?
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
Joe

I seen a guy use this tool for turning all sorts of things from fishing lures, pens to bowls and vases.

http://www.artsupply.com/Harder-Steenbec...62601.html

There are better ones below that one further on the page.
It is so easy to use it. For a pen kit he put in 5 to 8 drops of CA and sprayed it while slowly turning it and the same with all of his other turnings it was fantastic to see and how easy it is to use. Easy to clean up by just spraying acetone through it.

I want to get one so bad I can taste it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Sand to to 12000 micromesh (2000 grit/wet dry sandpaper). There are many different methods to a CA finish, and they can vary in terms of how dull/shiny the glue is after applying (one main variable here is whether or not you stop the back and forth wiping before the glue gets tacky). All of the methods I know of call for running through most if not all the micromesh grits after applying the finish (preferably wet if you have sealed the ends of the blank along the way).
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
Joemac ... I usually start the initial sanding from 120 up to 600 before applying any finish. Then just as imapseudonym mentioned, I've had great success applying the 4-5 coats or so of the CA glue and sanding from all the way up through 12000 grit micromesh. I usually use this finish with pens and therefore also look at the blank after sanding and sand with the grain to ensure an even scratch pattern and that no deeper scratches are still present from the previous grit. I then have a second set of micromesh that I then wet sand with using ordinary water again up through the 12000 grit. The finish at this point is pretty glossy, but I finish up with a plastic polish on a paper towel for a glass-like finish.
Thanks, I'll try that
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
There are quite a few videos on youtube for CA finishing. Some use micro finishing pads then a polish.

Here one video to get you started : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO_Q-n2-LcY
martin

Cleverly disquised as a responsible adult.
Sand up through the micromesh grits and then do a final spin with automotive buffing and shine compounds. Glassy finish, works like a charm. Just need to make sure you get enough CA on the turning.
Joe

One thing is not to end up with more then 4 coats of CA glue. I thought lot was better (10 coats) but found that after 4 years it tends to craze or start having micro spider webs going thru it.

I do not know why and it was just one a few kinds of woods but at least a dozen both domestic and exotics.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.