Track saw owners. Sharpen blades?
Are you guys sharpening the blades on your track saws or just buying new when it gets dull? It seems to be about break even or lose to sharpen them after shipping.
actually it is about 1/2 as much to have it sharpened over buying new. I tend to buy one or two new ones, then sharpen all in rotation.
Haven't gotten to that point yet so I'll be interested in the responses as well. I wonder if sharpening changes the kerf size, in which case you'll need new splinter guards.
jussi said:

Haven't gotten to that point yet so I'll be interested in the responses as well. I wonder if sharpening changes the kerf size, in which case you'll need new splinter guards.

I think the microscopic amount they remove doesn't make a difference. There is more than that in slop in the track, run out in the arbor, etc. I haven't noticed any difference anyway.
Done correctly there should never be any change in the width of the kerf if there is it is minuscule

so I would say sharpen them

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I wait until I have several table saw, miter saw and track saw blades that need sharpening, and then drop them off at a local dealer. Not sure where they get the sharpening done, but as long as I drop off by Thursday they are back by the next Friday. No shipping charge as the sharpening service has a route they drive to pickup & dropoff blades in western Oregon. Charge varies by the number of teeth.
I had been buying new then I found the blade sharpening tool at HF. Not perfect but I was able to save a bunch of money by sharpening my own.

When I did have someone else sharpen them it cost about $20 each. That's a bit cheaper than a decent new blade.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
This is timely. A half dozen melamine sheets for utility cabinets have dulled up my original Festool blade pretty quick. Is there anybody in particular that does a good job sharpening them with a reasonably quick turn-around?
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
We have a local sharpening service that charges $0.50/tooth. They do any carbide blades and they've sharpened my Festool blade and the other blades I use in my TS55 and TS75.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
JohnnyEgo said:

This is timely. A half dozen melamine sheets for utility cabinets have dulled up my original Festool blade pretty quick. Is there anybody in particular that does a good job sharpening them with a reasonably quick turn-around?

Always local people doing this, sometimes mixed results. As far as WoodNet I have always heard the name of Scott Whiting, goes by the tag "a very sharp guy" I've never heard anything but rave reviews. I believe he is just Scott Whiting here on WoodNet, but straight contact info I have is as follows.

Scott's Sharpening Service
5214 W Luke Ave., Ste.7
Glendale, AZ 85301
800-594-7262

Different address on an online posting, might want to call first.

scottssharpening.com

Link over at Woodworkers Zone with pricing not sure of prices are current, but they haven't risen dramatically in a while, so likely close.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW