Kreg pocket hole jigs useful? You guys rock!
Thanks for all the info, wow, a plethora (always wanted to use that word!) of knowledge, thanks for all your inout1

I am thinking of buying a Kreg pocket hole jig, specifically the K4 system.
Just wondering if any of you folks have used their jigs, specifically the K4. What do you think of them? Good quality? Easy to set up?
I bought one of their table saw miter jigs at a wood show a few years back and I love it.
Thanks for your help.
I consider it a must have for my shop. I use the bench jig for building new stuff and the clamp on portable for the holes I forget to drill before assembly... or out in the field for last minute fixes and repairs.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I have the K4 and really like it. That said, if I were buying new today I'd be looking real hard at the K5.
Lloyd

Kreg gave me and the guys a K5 with a hundred screws. We are really looking forward to using it in my shop to make some cabinets to hold things. We also have been watching video's on how to use it the right way.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
jussi said:

I have the K4 and really like it. That said, if I were buying new today I'd be looking real hard at the K5.

+1 The K5 allows clamping from your side of the jig. Not an issue on small stuff, but trying to reach around large panels can be a pain
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Creator of the Kerry_All_Pouch said:

I am thinking of buying a Kreg pocket hole jig, specifically the K4 system.
Just wondering if any of you folks have used their jigs, specifically the K4. What do you think of them? Good quality? Easy to set up?
I bought one of their table saw miter jigs at a wood show a few years back and I love it.
Thanks for your help.

I don't use it a lot but yes it useful. If you're going to get one get the K5 for the improved clamping system.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
I use my K-4 on a regular basis, when applicable, and find it to be well thought out, quick and effective. As mentioned, if buying today i'd consider the K-5 with the front clamp, but have never really had an issue reaching behind on the K-4. I also picked up a used HD version a year or so ago--use it more than i thought i would.

One of the neatest mods i've seen on a Kreg pocket hole jig was a pneumatic foot switch operate the clamp--done by MTStringer who i think posts on here at times. Very slick system he came up with!!

earl
jussi said:

I was all set to budget wise to splurge on the K5 when I stumbled upon a K4 on CL for $25 which included some packages of extra screws.

Couldn't turn it down and only had to drive 20 mile. It had been used on one project; couldn't tell it from new.

Showed my 14 y/o grand-daughter how to use it and as a first time wood-worker built her first project (a night stand) for 4H.

Personally I don't see the advantage of a K5 over the K4 for the extra ~$40.

It's not for every project, but it has it's place for sure. Glad I bought it!
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
It seems the K5 is the choice, I see Lee Valley Tools has two versions:

K5 Master for $199.
and the 'regular' K5 for $175.
I think the main difference is the Master has the big clamp. Might as well spring for the full meal deal.
Lloyd Kerry
Creator of the Kerry-All Pouch
The foolproof water-repellent pouch that’s built to withstand the elements.
greenacres2 said:

I use my K-4 on a regular basis, when applicable, and find it to be well thought out, quick and effective. As mentioned, if buying today i'd consider the K-5 with the front clamp, but have never really had an issue reaching behind on the K-4. I also picked up a used HD version a year or so ago--use it more than i thought i would.

One of the neatest mods i've seen on a Kreg pocket hole jig was a pneumatic foot switch operate the clamp--done by MTStringer who i think posts on here at times. Very slick system he came up with!!

earl

Thanks Earl.
The jig works great, especially for drilling the pocket holes in cabinet pieces.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd265...ns/MTH_2860.jpg

A short video of the pocket hole jig in action.
http://vid226.photobucket.com/albums/dd2...HoleJigDemo.mp4