Kreg pocket hole jigs useful? You guys rock!
I have the jig set that preceded the KREG K4.

It sat around for awhile before I first utilized it and after using it for the first time, I asked myself:" Why did you wait so long to buy and use it?."
The jigs are VERY useful. I have the K4 and use it a lot when I'm doing cabinet work. Quick and easy to set up and drill your pocket holes. There's also a jig included in the kit to set your stop collar on your stepped drill bit to match the thickness of your work. They seem to be on the pricey side, but I believe I've saved that much in time it has paid for itself many times over.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I don't typically like the look of pocket holes, but I use them for internal repairs and quick and dirty jobs. I have the one-holer, and the R3 for onsite work and the K3 in the shop. I also use the Foreman at a place where I volunteer and build tables.

A couple of other options
* Buy the R3. It will produce perfectly fine pocket holes, albeit a bit slower. Find out if you like it and will use them at a lower cost.

* Right now, Menards has the K4 for $99 and includes a box of 500 screws.
I happened to use my K4 a bunch this weekend. It's a huge step up from the small kind you need to clamp on yourself... I got mine a few years ago in the big box that looks like a fishing tackle box with the bins for screws on the top layer. Love it. It came with the little plastic wheel that tells you what setting and screw to use for whichever size your pieces of wood are. Love that too.

Of course they came out with the K5 like a week later... the handle being on the near side would be VERY nice in my opinion, but unless you're laying out pockets on the side of a piece of plywood for a cabinet, it won't be a big deal.
Benny

Creator of the Kerry_All_Pouch said:

It seems the K5 is the choice...

But not the only choice. Check out Porter Cable's offering (552) before you decide. Far superior in many ways. I got mine at Menard's. They have them listed for $186....use your Lowe's Mover Coupon and get 10% off. You won't regret it.
Marc
Sun City, AZ
The K4 is a nice bit of kit. I don't have a lot of use for pocket holes but I find them useful for some projects.

I had a tour of their manufacturing facility when I was there in October to do some training for them. I was impressed by the fact that most of the parts are made right there in the building in Iowa. And their customer service is excellent.
Grandpa Dave said:

Personally I don't see the advantage of a K5 over the K4 for the extra ~$40.

It's not for every project, but it has it's place for sure. Glad I bought it!

+1
I don't use mine very often so I bought just the simple jig. Limited to what I can do with it but I like the ability to make the holes when needed. Not sure I'll ever upgrade.

I know my brother has the air powered one and loves that - but he makes cabinets for a living so he has different needs.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Creator of the Kerry_All_Pouch said:

It seems the K5 is the choice, I see Lee Valley Tools has two versions:

K5 Master for $199.
and the 'regular' K5 for $175.
I think the main difference is the Master has the big clamp. Might as well spring for the full meal deal.

You won't be sorry if you use it at all. You definitely want the K5, there aren't enough words to explain the advantage of the front handle on a larger piece, and if you don't make a larger piece, other joinery is much much cheaper.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I use it frequently. Mine is the original type made from an aluminum casting. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41...SX300_.jpg

I've never been inclined to replace it. And I don't think that the newer ones work appreciably better.

I consider it an essential piece of equipment. I use it far more often than my biscuit cutter. I got it for face frames. But there are lots of other uses. I am now making a framed up bit of wainscoting and I am producing the sections on the bench using pocket screws. It is much easier than attaching directly to the wall.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.