Moving WW equipment
So, I have been wanting a 12" combo jointer/planer(Jet,Griz,Rikon). I will most likely get one new but... I keep seeing them on CL at a decent savings.
I have a Tacoma and Utility trailer which will easily do the 500lbs that these weigh. How do I get it into and then out of my trailer that doesn't have a ramp? I need some type of ramp and some type of wheeled dolly (which probably shouldn't have the little plastic wheels).
What have y'all done for your moves?
Oh, I figure it will be me and the Mrs doing the loading, off loading I can bribe neighbors.
Saratoga, NY
my system is an ATV ramp and an OSB deck to make a solid surface to ramp up on . It is stupid simple and I have loaded 800# planers using just that....... and an appliance dolly

Put the slick side down if you use OSB you need the traction it the ramp is steep.

Oh I would seriously reconsider using LOML as my helper with 500# Bribe a neighbor into helping you for bottle or their favorite spirits or micro brew

I am not saying she would not be help but IME I prefer having her happy not PO'ed and injured because she was below you and you slipped and could not stop the Iron avalanche coming at her
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

For offloading small machines (less than 1000 kilos) I use my 1971 model Massey-Ferguson 165 with a front loader.
When I needed to unload a bigger machine once I had to ask a nearby farmer if he could pop in with his 1960-ies Volvo BM loader.

When loading the seller usually offers to help and in a rural areal like this he is very likely to either own an old farm tractor or know someone who owns a tractor or a loader or a backhoe and is willing to help in exchange for a bit of tax-free slightly illegal cash.

Knowing farmers and machine contractors all over the region is a very valuable asset for any scrounger.

500 pounds is less than 250 kilos. Two persons can easily load a minuscule machine like that using a wooden ramp and a comealong.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
I rent the 5 x 9 U-Haul trailer with the long ramp. I put plywood on the ramp, like Joe. With the 750 lb 14" J/P I just bought (in Albany BTW) it had a mobile base under it already, thankfully. We wheeled it onto the ramp and then I jacked the ramp up level with the bed of the trailer, using a car jack under each side to do so. Once the ramp was level we just rolled in onto the trailer and strapped it in place. I used the reverse process to unload it. I had help loading it, but my wife and I off loaded it w/o any drama.

Without a mobile base it gets more interesting, and there's probably no universal solution. Getting it onto some type of rolling base, if at all possible, is a huge benefit. But I did once load a large machine by tipping it onto lengths of 2" diameter pipe and rolling it along on them, pulling it up into the trailer with a come-along.

John
JGrout said:

I prefer having her happy not PO'ed and injured because she was below you and you slipped and could not stop the Iron avalanche coming at her

YOU DID THAT ON PURPOSE!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what she said right? DAMHIKT
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
ATV ramp with plywood, appliance dolly, come-a-long and no wife, got it.
Saratoga, NY
If no machinery/loader at the purchase site, a dolly and muscle into the bed/on the trailer and usually onto a pallet or the item gets put on a lifted pallet when I get home. Johnny and the forks unloads it. I have used an engine lift to place items in the bed as well if the seller has one of those.

For super heavy items consider renting a drop-deck trailer. Deck drops to the ground so you only lift the item about 1". Deck is hydraulically lifted. Moved a 4500lb mill this way.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I picked up a 1000lb metal lathe using moving dollies to get it to the truck, and a folding engine hoist to lift it up and set it in the bed, then reverse order at home to get it out.

The wheels on the engine hoist required fairly smooth concrete to roll easily.

I have used a similar method to load and unload things from a utility trailer.

I have also used a hydraulic lift table to lift a 700lb steel box up enough to slide it into the back of an SUV but tat required some brute force an a carpet remnant or towel to help break some friction on both the table and the SUV carpet.

Duke
I moved my 600lb+ bandsaw with a uhaul trailer (pulled by my trusty Forester) with ramp and a hand truck. The dolly was is this one I think:
http://m.harborfreight.com/material-hand...truck.html
A friend and I strapped it to the hand truck at the spine of the saw, backed it to the bottom of the ramp, and laid it down on the hand trucks handle. I used a come a long attached to the handle to pull the saw into the trailer. The metal handle slides pretty easily on the metal deck of the trailer.
Steve N said:

[blockquote]JGrout said:

I prefer having her happy not PO'ed and injured because she was below you and you slipped and could not stop the Iron avalanche coming at her

YOU DID THAT ON PURPOSE!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what she said right? DAMHIKT

[/blockquote]

It was a lot more colorful than that
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy