Generator Extension Cord
I have a portable generator that I connect via a transfer switch to the house panel. It works well but I store it in my yard barn which is about 100 ft from the house. Any reason why I can't run a properly sized extension cord to the house? That thing (generator) is a PIA to drag across the yard in good weather and probably impossible if snow on the ground.
Thks Russ
Properly size, no.

What is "properly sized"? If you don't know, then move the genny.

I'd probably find a way to easily move the genny anyway. One of those kids wagons with the pneumatic tires would be a decent choice. Or a garden trailer, whatever. You need to at least drag it out of the shed, so why not make it easy.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I had a similar problem with my "portable" generator. Whenever I went to move it the tires were flat. The thing is heavy and can't be moved with out pumping up the tires.

I went to Northern Tool and got solid rubber tires. I had to mount new axles but it certainly was worth it to never have to try to move that boat anchor with flat tires!
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I converted a generator to a 'portable'. U-bolts and all-thread as an axle and solid rubber tires, then wheelbarrow handles as handles. I push it around like a wheelbarrow. One day I will cut the handles down, or figure out a way to make them fold. They stick out and take up a lot of room.
If it's used mainly for the house, why not build it a small good looking storage container/shed next to or nearer the house, then wheeling it is easier?
daddo said:

If it's used mainly for the house, why not build it a small good looking storage container/shed next to or nearer the house, then wheeling it is easier?

Exactly what Dado said. I have mine on my deck and built a three sided plus roof movable cover. I have a plug just above it running through conduit into my basement and to the generator panel. I used #10 wire and mad up a cord to run from the generator to the plug in on the house. Both plug ins are four prong twist lock. I have the option of leaving it plugged in or taking the cord inside, it is about 5' long. Electrician did my panel and the system was tested, works great.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
crokett™ said:

I converted a generator to a 'portable'. U-bolts and all-thread as an axle and solid rubber tires, then wheelbarrow handles as handles. I push it around like a wheelbarrow. One day I will cut the handles down, or figure out a way to make them fold. They stick out and take up a lot of room.

Two pieces of metal conduit attached with hose clamps. Slide hardwood dowels inside the conduit. Drill the conduit and place pins at open and closed positions. Looks and works like wheelbarrow handles.

Fred
RWS said:

Any reason why I can't run a properly sized extension cord to the house?

100 ft? Cost. Have you ever tried to unroll a cable that big and that long? You are pretty much stuck with cable manufactured for motor-home hook ups and they have a vinyl outer insulator which is a pain in the butt to unroll in cold weather. It's like a big spring. Mine is only 25 ft and I have to leave it unrolled and wrapped around the inside of the garage when I know an ice storm is headed our way. I couldn't imaging dealing with 100 ft.

The vinyl wrapped stuff is about four dollars a foot. You can buy rubber insulated cable with wire made of finer strands which will unroll easily (think high quality jumper cables) but it's expensive. I'm guessing 100ft will be in the six to seven hundred dollar range.

We had planned to buy a small plastic garden shed. Suncast sells one at Walmart for about 300 bucks and just put the generator in it by the transfer switch. They break down pretty easily. The plan was to take off the top and sides when in use.

Thanks all for the replies. Neighborhood Assn won't allow the building/box idea. Not sure if bigger wheels would help in the snow as it is a slight uphill grade. May have to drop back and punt on this one.
Thanks
we have a couple of those exact shed. Just leave the doors open and prop open the top. No need to take them off unless its windy out.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark