what wood is this?
For reference, the table it is sitting on is California Formica.

I was told its ironwood. Based on its heft, I'd agree. Darned heavy stuff.

Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
olneya tesota to be specific
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Thank you.

A friend of mine gave it to another friend. Though it would be good for turning. The receiver, however, is a neophyte to the lathe, so I've suggested she start with something she can actually cut.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
like African blackwood, it is beautiful stuff to turn. no need to worry about tearout.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
O boy that is some nice stuff no matter what kind of wood. I do not know how big it is but it would make several nice turned projects.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Desert Ironwood. More common to Arizona and not California. Hard as a rock and hard on tools, but it does machine nicely. Sinks in water. Absolutely gorgeous grain, similar to cocobolo. I make pens with it. It's also popular for knife scales. (Pic is a Bark River Aurora knife.)

SteveS said:

olneya tesota to be specific

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Looks like Desert Ironwood. 1.20 specific gravity. Dense stuff with a weird texture and a really funky smell when worked.

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
SteveS said:

like African blackwood, it is beautiful stuff to turn. no need to worry about tearout.

Agreed. Sanding sucks though!

Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
Thanks all.

Follow up: The gifter of the wood's father picked it up when he lived in Arizona. Makes sense. Its been laying around this fellow's house for 30 years. Wish he'd have given it to me.