A federal judge in Florida ruled last week against the manufacturer of
Will GM have to retro-fit airbags into 1964 Corvettes?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
A VERY lengthy discussion about this case in the Power Tools Forum. Starts out discussing whether the Bosch alternative to SS is available, then the same case is cited and discussed. As usual, very strong opinions exist on both sides.

Bosch vs. SawStop
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Decisions like these are won by evidence, not common sense. Just look at the "caution, hot" labels on coffee cups. Juries are ordered to only listen to evidence given... Too bad Ryobi didn't have the guy from the comment section helping to write their argument!
Benny

The article does not state the plaintiff was 75% liable for his injuries. So the $27K Ryobi was required to pay was the other 25%. Still, I think it's a really dumb decision, and if not overturned, it opens up a myriad of similar lawsuits which could easily either kill the TS industry, or make TS's prohibitively expensive for a lot of hobbyist woodworkers.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
meackerman said:

I hurt myself more times with hand tools than I ever have with power tools.

Guess the judge isn't a woodworker:
“There is substantial evidence for a reasonable jury to conclude that the risks of the table saw outweighed its benefits,”

Don't blame the Judge; his job here is to decide whether to throw out a jury verdict. There is a lot more to the process, but essentially, he has to give every reasonable inference and interpretation to the evidence presented, pro and con, on an issue, and only if there was absolutely no reasonable interpretation of the admitted evidence that would support the verdict, then he can throw it out. I'm sure plaintiff presented expert evidence of whether the risk/benefit of using a TS with and without SS technology was in plaintiff's favor. Not that I, you, or he might agree, but again, giving them the benefit of doubt the jury might have decided it was.

The judge is the messenger here; shoot him if you want, but just sayin.......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
ah so all judges are impartial.

if we only lived in such a world.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

You still don't get it, he only made a decision whether plaintiff admitted enough evidence upon which a jury could conclude the fact; he didn't decide the fact.

Perhaps I wasn't clear?? If so I apologize.
the judge is the one that said:

“There is substantial evidence for a reasonable jury to conclude that the risks of the table saw outweighed its benefits"

Which tells me he's not a woodworker.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Ok, shoot the messenger then.
happens all the time.

Mark