Old Arn Drill Press
Was casually looking for a drill press when one appeared locally. Older Delta, which according to serial number dates to 1958 or so. Bench top model, seemed to work pretty well, outside of needing a new belt. Stopped by Woodcraft last night, and picked up a link belt. Installed and fired it up, whhhhiiiiirrrrrrrrrrr. Nice n quiet.

I think it is a runner, but for kicks I may go ahead and pull it apart and do a full restoration this winter.

Since I know y'all want pics, here ya go.

Head of unit:

Side View:

Base - a bit of rust on underside, but just patina here

Serial plate

Switch - anyone know about these:

There are a couple of things missing and/or replaced, including one of the nuts on the depth adjuster, and the bolt controlling the recoil spring.

Head unit is still frozen to the pipe, but I'll take a run at it with PB Blaster in the coming weeks to free it up.

For $150 I feel like it is a good deal, certainly light years better (and heavier) than what is made today.
Nice score! That will be a runner for sure. Looking forward to the refirb.
Wow. That thing looks great as it is. A little clean up and some bearings and it is good to go for another 60 years.
had one just like that it is a great drill press paid two hundred for it 20 years ago
moved and left it behind I always though I would restore mine but it worked so well I never got around to it sold it two years ago at a sale for 400 dollars so it never cost me two own it
Win. That is a good one.

Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Very nice - congrats and thanks for the nice pics!

Doug
nodima said:

Switch - anyone know about these:

It's a manual motor control, which means it's a snap switch, but with overload disconnect functionality. Usually, you shut them off to reset. There is probably a dog bone shaped heater element in there somewhere. They used to be very common long ago. I have at least two old machines with that type of mechanical motor control. Mechanical PB stations with O/L protection were also common (no magnetics), but not so much if at all now.

For a 1 hp or less (if memory serves), under direct operator control and observation (which a DP definitely is), no overload protection other than the branch circuit overcurrent protection (breaker or fuse) is all you need, and is 'legal' too. It's because if the motor fails to start, or is grossly overloaded, you can just shut it off.

The quill thrust bearing may be a problem if it has to be replaced. I believe it was a proprietary design, and not something you could buy through bearing interchange catalogs. But the OWWM crowd would have to confirm that.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
The switch can be replaced these days with an USA-made NEMA equivalent in the $60.00 - $80.00 price range, but if that switch is working, let it eat. Modern switches have a prettier plastic outside, but inside, they're just not much.

The threads on that quill stop are 1/2-16. That's an odd size for the local hardware store, but a standard for lots of drill press quills. One turn equals 1/16" depth change.

That bearing is called 88100, usually made by new departure.
A workaround is to knurl the shaft slightly and use 6202-5/8 bearings with an adequate shim.

The DP-4A and DP-4B are the delta parts illustration that will work for your press.

That's a nice press. I tricked out a floor model of one of those a while back

pics of a tricked-out DP-225

A super excellent thread on rebuilding one of those presses
Great thread on rebuilding that type press
Thanks for the info on the switch - it does work, so as of now I'll probably not replace it.