Veritas Plunge Base for Rotary Tools
Just spotted this in an email that arrived from LV; has anyone else noticed it?
Veritas Plunge Base for Rotary Tools

It looks like it could be valuable for inlay work in addition to a whole lot of other stuff. They say "you can convert almost any rotary tool"; I wonder if that includes Foredom handpieces. Does anyone have info on what tools it supports? (Rob, are you out there?)

Cliff
Cliff
ex-TX, now Maine!
Just noticed that today too. I know there are other companies out there that make them, I forget the brand off hand... but a buddy in my club does some serious inlay stuff and uses this type of thing for it all the time. Says it's a must.
Benny

More here:
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...amp;sb=5&o=
this is my Christmas Present from my mom (ordered by me!) The dremel one is junky but cheap. Stewart McDonald makes a decent basic plunge one but this is a much more complete setup with a much greater offset difference on the base. Looking forward to trying it out
I agree the Dremel base is cheaply built. If I did a lot of detailed work that kit from Lee Valley would be nice.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I am planning on trying my hand at some line and berry inlay and have been looking for something like this for a while. I looked at the info on the related post referred to below and decided to try out the Dremel plunge router base, primarily because of the big price difference. If it doesn't work out (don't like cheaply made tools) I will probably go with the LV tool. I also looked at the Stewart MacDonald base but I don't think their circle jig would work with small radius arcs.
I've had the Dremel base for a while 'cause for a while there was nothing else available. Works surprisingly well.

Somebody buy this one and then tell me why I absolutely must upgrade.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." -- Arthur Schopenhauer
My be a good time to buy as Lee Vally has free shipping for the next two days...
I had a chance to play with this new base a while ago when it was in development. I have owned the dremel base - tossed it. I own the Stewmac base and will toss it. This new Veritas base is everything those are not - solid being the key attribute. The other two are flimsy at best and this is important when doing fine inlay work, making it easier to control the tool.

This one also has some very nice accessories and is obviously well thought out. For luthiery where this type of tool gets extensive use, the Veritas one is a no-brainer. There are many situations where even a trim router is too much tool for the job, this setup turns the dremel (corded or cordless) into a very nice trim router for small and close work.
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/