Pencils with white leads?
Hi,

I keep hearing people recommend using a white pencil to mark on dark wood, something I'd like to try.

Issue is, I cannot find a pencil with a white lead, so not exactly sure what it is people are using.

There are artist pencils, but they seem to cost more than what I would expect a wood worker to pay, and besides, I'm not sure they can hold a point.

There are white sewing pencils, but I don't think those are actually pencils, although having never used one I am guessing.

Steve Latta had a mechanical pencil with a white lead in it. I couldn't find one of those either. He didn't say where he got it.

Another result I saw was marking with a knife and dusting Finely ground chalk into the knife line. Maybe, but a pencil sounds a LOT easier.

Anyone here have any ideas?

Mike
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...amp;sb=5&o=
Tailors chalk or seamstress pencil(fabric shop).
What you want are sold in art supply stores.
Howie.........
I use plain old pencils. Ticonderoga are decent as are the us made general pencils. The best ones I get are the old ones still in the package at estate sales. They are way better than even the good new ones.

The first white pencils I found were these on amazon.
www.amazon.com/Charcoal-White-Pencils-2-Pkg-2B/dp/B004BPOZAG/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1450225744&sr=1-1&keywords=white+pencil+for+drawing
I use a silver welder's pencil ... not cheap but lasts a long time and really stands out on Walnut.

Red
Bought mine at Hobby Lobby. Check also with Michael's or a Joann's Fabric.

You might even find them in the art or sewing section of your local Wally-world.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
mikefm101 said:

There are artist pencils, but they seem to cost more than what I would expect a wood worker to pay, and besides, I'm not sure they can hold a point.

I use an artist's pencil. You don't have to pay a fortune for one. The point is not as hard as a graphite pencil lead, but they do last quite long. I get mine from Staples or Michael's. They do make white lead mechanical pencils. They are primarily for marking fabric. Just search Google for "white mechanical pencil lead" and you'll find them. The leads tend to be pretty thick - around 0.9 mm - so they won't be adequate for marking dovetails and the like.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
sewing dept. at Walmart.
Go to an art supply store and look for white charcoal pencils. This place is close to me, but also sells online.