Combining Tormek and Wolverine
I've had my T3 Tormek for a couple of years and have made do with it. Not real happy because I can't seem to get a consistent bevel angle with the attachments so I reset the piece which holds the gouge to make it work. I can get a sharp edge but its a hassel. To me, Tormek's strong feature is the slow speed wet grinder.

Just wondering if any one has combined both systems, i.e., mounted the Wolvering jig under the Tormek grinder. Seems to me that would be the best of both worlds. Comments???

Dave
Sawdustd said:

I've had my T3 Tormek for a couple of years and have made do with it. Not real happy because I can't seem to get a consistent bevel angle with the attachments so I reset the piece which holds the gouge to make it work. I can get a sharp edge but its a hassel. To me, Tormek's strong feature is the slow speed wet grinder.

Just wondering if any one has combined both systems, i.e., mounted the Wolvering jig under the Tormek grinder. Seems to me that would be the best of both worlds. Comments???

Dave

I've considered a Tormek from time to time and I know they make a jig similar to the wolverine vari-grind. Are you saying that jig doesn't work well?
Steve K

Are you using this to set your angle? Gotta ask. If so, maybe the factory grind on your gouges was off. Otherwise, maybe the lack of consistency might be due to inadvertently putting more pressure on one side vs. the other.

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The Tormek and other wet wheel grinding machines are slow. To effectively use the jigs, they must be set perfectly, not close, but perfect every time, or you slowly grind another new bevel. The ever changing wheel size, and going from one jig to another, or one set up to another always involves minute changes...

robo hippy
Very few turning tools other than a skew will benefit from the slow wet grind of a Tormek but it's all whatever works for you. 8" bench grinder and a light touch will get you back to turning and the wolverine is likely the most popular jig for getting it done.