anyone fill in a pool
has anyone ever filled in/done away with their pool? how did it go? how much dirt after dumping in the decking. I know that depends on how much decking was there.
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet."
Admiral William Frederick "Bull" Halsey Jr.

sure would like to do ours -- we'll probably just move first.

can't really help, but ya might have to take down the first couple feet from the top if it's gunite.
And here my DW is looking for a new house way down south, specifically with a pool.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I haven't done it but several of friends have. The one thing that is necessary is to make large holes in the bottom so it can drain or it becomes a mess
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Keep in mind when determining the amount of required fill, you may need 15%-->33% more than the neat area calculates to (depending on the type of fill and after proper compaction). Soil "fluffs" when excavated, for lack of a better term...
If you aren't going to remove it the alternative is to chip a bunch of holes in the bottom then to knock the walls in by jack hammering a line around it. Then fill it in.

Leaving the pool in place and empty it functions as a boat and will float out of the ground. That is if it's a gunnite pool, fiberglass and others seem to be pretty much immune to it.
thooks said:

I'm right around the corner from ya....

My pool is a standard 25,000 gallons. If the dirt didn't compact, that would be about 3500 cubic feet of dirt. That's about 130 cubic yards of material. Seeing how a standard 2-axle dump truck can haul about 12 yards of material, that's going to be somewhere around 10-12 dump trucks of dirt to be hauled, compacted, spread, etc.

There's a sign on the east side of the road on Highway 85 south of Highway 16 that I believe says "Free Top Soil". I'm sure you'll need to get a truck to haul it, but...

I'd say if you get a load hauled for $125 and there's about a day's worth of tractor work to spreading, compacting, etc., you're looking at $3,000.

Pretty accurate. We had estimates of around $4,000 to fill in mother in law's pool.
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008
arthropod98 said:

sure would like to do ours -- we'll probably just move first.

Same here. If the monster from the lagoon came out of it one day I would not be at all surprised. I do toss in those tablets that kill the mosquito larvae, but that is about it.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
In a previous life I helped fill many pools. No matter what kind it is you need to knock holes in the bottom. We had to excavate a filled in pool where the homeowner failed to do this and he had a swampy mess in his backyard. We would break up the deck and push it in the hole. The smaller the pieces the better it worked as fill. It will take a lot of fill to fill it in so be prepared. If you can find someone in the area that is putting in a pool see if they will haul excess spoils to yours. if you run a sprinkler while filling it will help to compact the soil.