Forstner bit set?
I have had a set of 22 Forstner bits from harbor freight for years, and was happy with them until I tried a couple carbide forstner bits.

Now I would like a decent set that's a step or two up from the harbor freight set, but still don't want to pay for Lee valley Fully recognizing that they probably are worth the price, I just don't need the bleeding edge.

Edit to add: is it worth the extra for TiN coating on a forstner bit?

Thanks
Duke
I don't have any experience to compare them to others, but I have been pretty happy with the Colt Maxicut Forstner bits.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Like iclark said "I have been pretty happy with the Colt Maxicut Forstner bits."

I started out with a starter set, replaced it with a set from Rockler, but now I replace only the "tired" bits with the Maxicut.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I also started out with an inexpensive HF set but I didn't replace the whole set. As individual bits would dull I just replaced that bit. Over time I have replaced all of my commonly used bits with Freud bits. I still have a few of the HF bits left but as they are seldom or never used they remain sharp to this day.
I started out with a Porter Cable set (back when they came in a wooden box) and now I have replaced the dull bits (all of the smaller ones) with Freud bits. That has worked well and they're much cheaper than the expensive ones.

Like saw blades, I found out, you need to keep these clean too.
The Lee Valley HSS Forstner Bits are excellent. They were rated very highly by one of the WW mags several years ago. They offer different sets, depending on what you do. I'm very, very pleased with mine.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Ditto what Alan said, LV are all I use. The guy who sharpens my saw blades also sharpens my forstner bits.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I have use Connecticut Valley forstner bits for many years,they are the best in my opinion.They were bought out by another supplier and do not recall the name.They are expensive until you realize you get what you pay for.This was the only brand we used in the shop.When I retired I bought the Grizzly brand,work fine. I wound up buying the intermediate set too.One set went from 1/4 to 2-1/8 in 1/8" increments. The other set from 3/16 to 2-3/16" in 1/8" increments
Thank you all for the opinions.

I like every lee valley tool I have bought, but I just can't swallow spending almost $500 for a set of forstner bits, the HF have been good enough up to now, I think I will start looking at getting Freud replacements for the dull ones and maybe go with a grizzly set if I want another full set.

Thank you
Duke
Not sure if you have purchased yet? I am sure the LV bits are awesome, but the best Forstners I have used, and I have used the Freuds is the Famag line of Forstner bits, made in Germany The Quality bits are great in a size used rarely, they will be a liftime expenditure. Sizes you use frequently you would want the Bormax, Heavily used sizes you want Bormax B.

From router bits, to drill bits I think you are wasting $$$$$ to buy a "set". Picked up as you need them these are quite affordable, and are easily lifetime bits unless you are drilling hundreds of holes a week, week in and week out, then they will last 10 years. Awesome bits, clean holes. easy feed.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW