routing a hole
Hi all

I need to cut an oval hole in the top of a tissue box I'm making and want to do it with a plunge router. I assume I need to make a template to use with a bit with a bearing. What I'd like to know is if there is a simple way to determine the size of the template I need to make in order to get the opening I'm aiming for.

I hope this question is clear and look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanks
Mikey
When I have done these in the past I did the hole before assembling the box, and cut the hole out with scroll saw, though a jig saw could be used, then with a bearing guided bit I refined the edge. I've made rounds, which are quite easy. ellipses can be done, but getting into the tight edges I've always had to do some fine hand tool work, so a more gradual corner works better. When done finish assembly.....
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Use a flush trim bit with a top bearing. The bearing then runs on the template and you trim out a hole the same size in the work piece.

Like Steve says, trace the shape from the template onto the wood with a pencil, and rough out the hole first with a jigsaw. Then you are just trimming up to the lines, not trying to excavate the complete hole.
I think op may be asking about size of template. If that's the question let me take a shot. If you're using a flush trim bit the template would be same size as you finished hole. If you are using rabbeting bit, then the template would be the finished size + 2x the offset of the cutting edge from the bearing. Hope this makes sense. Ray
I would use cardboard and try diff shapes see what works best.

Or go to a store and find a tissue box and trace the outline.
rwe2156 said:

I would use cardboard and try diff shapes see what works best.

Or go to a store and find a tissue box and trace the outline.

Indeed. Tissue box is your friend.
Cut the top off a tissue box and trace it on your template material,mdf.plywood whatever. Cut the center out,smooth any rough spots. Make the template long enough so you have room to clamp.
Then you can rout with a top bearing bit .
mike
rayknight said:

I think op may be asking about size of template. If that's the question let me take a shot. If you're using a flush trim bit the template would be same size as you finished hole. If you are using rabbeting bit, then the template would be the finished size + 2x the offset of the cutting edge from the bearing. Hope this makes sense. Ray

Yup, hence suggesting the flush trim bit, because then the template is the finished size, no guestimating what the finished hole is going to look like.

Just looked at the tissue box on the wife's desk, and it's rectangular, with rounded corners. Be much easier to make than an oval hole.
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Had a lot of walnut and maple cutoffs from prior projects and wanted to put them to use for xmas presents. Both the tissue boxes we have in house have oval holes, but the shape of the finished boxes is not set in concrete. I'll play around a bit and see what is easiest to accomplish. So far, the rectangular hole with rounded corners is winning.
As usual, I can count on this forum to come up strong.

Mikey
You and I had the same idea but I was thinking the smaller "slot and undercut bit" but with the largest one at 1/4" cut height might need two passes although can't imagine a tissue box top would be much thicker than that.

http://www.holbren.com/slot-undercut-router-bits/