Why do I get cloudy patches in my CA finish?
I was just finishing up a tap handle, and decided to use CA glue as the finish. I have used it a number of times in the past, mostly on pens, but occasionally on something this large.

I applied about 10 coats, and sanded using micromesh. When I was done, I noticed that in a few spots the finish is cloudy.

Anyone know what causes this? The only thing that comes to mind is that I maybe tried to go too fast, and heated up the cloudy areas too much by applying too much pressure.

Any thoughts on what I am doing to get theses cloudy areas?

Thanks,

Bubba
Bubba

I had the same problem several years ago but do not remember why Sorry

I should ask how many coats you put on first before sanding?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin,

I put on 8-10 coats.
when sanding with the micromesh did you use a light touch and a relatively slow speed?

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I've always heard it's because the CA has picked up moisture from the air.
hmmm. it so happens that I opened a bottle just for this project...
this is where I could easily have screwed up. I may have applied too much pressure. Does excessive heat cause cloudiness?
Bubba

I can not say about excessive heat but that is to many coats at one time to effectly manage at one time. I personally only do 2, 3 at most before I sand to make it smooth and before adding more.

I am also going to get a small air brush gun at http://www.artsupply.com/Harder-Steenbec...62601.html
to evenly apply and put it on a lot more things. The thing with this air brush is the object can turn slowly on the lathe and dry as it is being applied and not a ton of CA nor sanding either.

Also see the post here
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...amp;sb=5&o=

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Bring it inside and let it sit. It might clear itself up.

I've had that issue with CA finishes in colder temps, and it self heals.

CA finish is super fussy!
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
Herb G said:

I've always heard it's because the CA has picked up moisture from the air.

IMO, that is right...
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne