Unsteamed walnut in socal
This is a long shot but I was wondering if anyone knows a places that stocks unsteamed walnut is LA or OC area?
Last I looked I could not even find decent walnut, let alone steamed or not. I looked at Austin Hardwoods and thought it was near fire wood quality at a price about $10/BF. Of course ended up passing walnut and got quarter sawn sapele instead.
wrb said:

Last I looked I could not even find decent walnut, let alone steamed or not. I looked at Austin Hardwoods and thought it was near fire wood quality at a price about $10/BF. Of course ended up passing walnut and got quarter sawn sapele instead.

I agree about Austin I went there a month or so ago because I needed some walnut ply and the walnut hardwood quality/selection wasn't great. At least the 4/4 stuff. I went to Bohnhoff lumber in Vernon last week and got some pretty decent stock. The Common #1 rough sawn is only $4.85. Which is great if you don't need any really wide pieces and can work around (or incorporate) the checks and knots. Superior was almost double.