Designing on the fly
I was going to build a box to house some of my hand tools. My original idea was a maple dovetailed box, dividers inside, a frame and panel lid and a base in contrasting woods. It sort of redesigned itself along the way. And it turned itself into a desk organizer rather than a tool storage box, or at least I think it did. I don't like it yet, but I think it has potential. I made some good guesses and some poor ones, and I plan change direction and rebuild some of it. It might work! Or it might get worse. That's art, i guess. Either way, I'll post when it happens.

From above, I the top looks ok. I was going to use a more or less conventional handle. But the grain and two tiny knots designed the carved lip handle for me.

Top view, not too hard on the eyes. Almost works.

Desk box

Closer view (the finger lifts curve down, and are recessed on the bottom):

From the front, it's not working. The transition off of the lip is too abrupt and stubby.

I was going to use slip joints, but decided that M&T would be a better look. I think I was wrong, but there's nothing I can do about it now. I definitely should have raised the box ends, and fitted the top between rabbets, rather than having the top lie flush with the box edges. It's too clunky IMO.
Also, notice that there is no base. I decided it would be better without one. Wrong again, I think.

My daughter likes the inside of the lid. So do I.

I didn't bother with compartments, because I'm going to rebuild the box. I'll also reshape the front of the lid, and see if I coax get a more graceful shape out of it. If I take a wrong turn, I can always put the wood back on, right? And I'll probably make that base after all. So I've posted here and now I have to follow through. We'll see where I take this thing.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
My first thought was, "Ooooh, Interesting!" Be careful cutting stuff off. I wonder what it would look like with softened corners and edges. Everything more rounded to more closely echo the flowing lines of the handle. Got potential!
For on the fly, it's a fantastic diversion!

Is the top from two different species?

Maybe, continue with face grain panels to harmonize with the forward free form piece? Sinuous grain would look really nice framing that outstanding bird's eye panel. The knots and eyes create a motif. The grains are a motif. The differing species colors provide the separation and contrast.

What if the box were from the same material as the lid frame? In face grain.
Been down that road. I think a small base in the same material as the top frame, sort of like a cut away base on a chest. Curves to mimic the lid in the cutout portions and a colour match top and bottom could work. You could mock one up with cardboard and some rattle can paint to see how it looks.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Man Aram,

you don't like it yet? Be sure that I like it very much! Basically a clear and crisp "boxy" design and then comes the eye catcher, the lip that isn't boxy at all. This element interrupts the overall design in a way that the eye is focussing immediately this detail. It's the thrilling element that dominates the overall design. The icing on the cake is the wood knots that match that perfectly. I for one wouldn't do the smallest change concerning the lip and the lid in total, it's perfect.

I agree that a base would be nice however. To me it's rather clear, that a base regardless of it's shape will match very good if it will be done with the same wood as the frame of the lid is. I'd be reluctant to give the base some curved elements because I could imagine that the lip will stay more exciting if it's the uniquely curved element. Maybe a slightly prodruding base would be nice with bevels at the prodruding parts. Hard to judge now. Worth to play a little bit with by trying different shapes.

And: yes the box indeed is rather a desk organizer than shop furniture!

Klaus

I think the box is very, very nice as is...I'd hesitate to make any changes.

If I were to make any changes, I might think about reducing the width of the rails and stiles on the lid. That might give the top a lighter look.

Good Luck! I think it looks awesome as it is.
Don't touch that lid! Give it the box it deserves. Same wood as the top frame. Front side of the box curved to match the protrusions of the lid. Bury the hinges so they don't detract. Interior tray same wood as field in top.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I think you're being way too critical, as we all tend to be with our own work. I love the lifts flowing out of the edge at the knots. If anything, I'd soften the edges of the lid as Phil suggests.
IMHO, you nailed the lid, don't change a thing. I agree the box doesn't do the top justice. It's too much for a shop storage box, but not for a desk box, but consider mitered dovetails with an faux frame insert of the same contrasting wood on the top on each side of the box, or two stripes of inlay. I've always wanted to do something like that; by hand, the mitered dovetails will build skills.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'm with the others here; it's a handsome piece as it is.

If you're insistent to change the profile on the lid, consider a hollow below the "pulls" that returns to the box dimensions at the bottom.

That may lighten the thickness, viewed head on.
This could be done on a router table, where you could approach the final dimension slowly, also on the fly.

In my opinion this box wants for nothing more than finish.
It's a fine piece that I would be proud to claim as my own,
if I had the talent and skill you demonstrate.

Kudos