Designing on the fly
KlausK. said:

Man Aram,

you don't like it yet? Be sure that I like it very much! Basically a clear and crisp "boxy" design and then comes the eye catcher, the lip that isn't boxy at all. This element interrupts the overall design in a way that the eye is focussing immediately this detail. It's the thrilling element that dominates the overall design. The icing on the cake is the wood knots that match that perfectly. I for one wouldn't do the smallest change concerning the lip and the lid in total, it's perfect.

I agree that a base would be nice however. To me it's rather clear, that a base regardless of it's shape will match very good if it will be done with the same wood as the frame of the lid is. I'd be reluctant to give the base some curved elements because I could imagine that the lip will stay more exciting if it's the uniquely curved element. Maybe a slightly prodruding base would be nice with bevels at the prodruding parts. Hard to judge now. Worth to play a little bit with by trying different shapes.

And: yes the box indeed is rather a desk organizer than shop furniture!

Klaus

What he said
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
I would leave the box as is and build another one and incorporate the changes you have in mind.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
MarvW said:

I would leave the box as is and build another one and incorporate the changes you have in mind.

What Marv said!!!!!
Skip

I love the knots on the lid! As said above, don't change that lid! Relieve the sharp edges on the outside a bit to soften the look and you're good to go.

As to the bottom, yeah, well-executed but plain-jane. And visually the whole thing is very top-heavy right now. If it were me, I'd build some kind of base/skirt that matches the color of the frame on the lid, something to lift the box up a bit and set it on a wider base.

I think what you have is just fine; it's just not finished yet.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Thanks for your input. I've been mulling over the design, doing the mind's eye thing and I think I know where I want to go. Whoever suggested a bubinga box is absolutely right -- but I'm almost out of the stuff, so that's out. I do have enough bubinga scrap to make a base, which I agree this needs.

I decided to lighten the top-heaviness but insetting the lid, which meant a new box. This time it's birds-eye maple, which I have to say was a challenge to dovetail. It's still blocky, but that's because I haven't rounded over edges just yet. That, some mild reshaping of the lid lip (not messing with the handles, but I want to ease the transition back to the box.) And a base, coming soon.

Work in progress:

Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I think both versions you have done are very nice, and beautiful workmanship on both. Having said that, the very first thought that came into my head on seeing the first version was "That lid completely out-classes the box". The box seemed plain in comparison to that really nice lid.

In terms of a re-design, I was thinking a smaller box that the lid would overhang a bit, and matching base trim. I see I'm late to the game, and you've gone the other way - an inset lid in a larger box, which is pretty cool itself. I also think the birds-eye box goes better with the lid. Nice work!
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Thank you.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
The second box is a big improvement over the first. For some reason I like mortise and tenon joints on vertical doors but prefer mitered corners on tops. Another idea for the box you built would be to flush the top to the top of the sides although I think a small overhang would have been more elegant. These shouldn't be taken as criticisms because I think you have made a very nice box as is, just things for you to mull over. Ken