You know those curved wine bottle holders?
Does anyone have or know where I might find some decent instructions on how to make them?
I've screwed up just about everything I have touched this week so the last thing I want to do is mess up the cutting of the one I have glued up. It seems simple enough but I'm guessing there might be a trick or two that might make it simpler.

Like this one

Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
I think it was Popular Woodworking about 5-8 years ago had an article with a template on making these. Not hard but the hole location can be important for balance.
I copy Just_Dave's request. Have also tried with no luck. Do the sraight one on 45* angle, but not the curved one.

Wood magazine had one in the 9/06 issue (#171). I think that's a curved single bottle.

Edit in:I had to pull that issue and look: that's not the plan, just a small variation on the shape. I'll look around today and see if I can find the original.

Edit: me again, I found a drawing of the curved holder in Wood issue #167, Dec/Jan, 05-06. It has a dimensioned drawing.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Dave, I've never been able to find a free plan. They have been in past issues of several magazines though, sorry don't have issue #'s, just have seen them. Looking for these is sure a way to get acquainted with "Ted" and his library of stolen plans, all for the low low price of......

This page has about the best collection of pics of the curved one's I have found, and if you look, as you place the curve like a "C" to yourself, you can drill a hole anywhere above the center line, and they will balance. Width, amount of curve, overall length, and height as well as size of hole, can be pretty variable. IOW hard to screw this up.

Go Crazy, have fun.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
see if i can keep it simple:
the center of mass of the bottle and wood must be over the point the wood makes contact with the table.
Thanks everyone at least I'm not missing something on my searches. I have searched high and low and came up with two discussions about them. One was on lumber jocks and one on a forum called family woodworking (I think that was what it was) the guy there took tons of pictures but you have to join to see them full size. I'm not joining another forum.....
Thanks to Fred's research I have a point for Big Dave to check his back issues of Wood.
Last night I found a reference to one in Popular Woodworking but no issue number (thanks waters for confirming). I have PW going back several years I guess I'll start looking through them unless someone has an index.
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
The curved one in Wood looks like exactly like the one in your pic.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I don't know if this will be of any help, but I have an excerpt from a similar post I made back in 2012 with comments from WoodNetter GaryMc (Conspiracy Theory). He sent a picture of a circular type bottle holder in the shape of The Man in the Moon, along with directions and measurements. I don't know if he is still around to contact.

I also don't know if there is a way to track down that post - I saved the text and picture without saving the URL. The thread was: "Those magic wine bottle holders" posted by: wood2woodknot (Member) 01/08/12 01:27 AM
_________
Response was by: GaryMc (Conspiracy Theory) 01/08/12 09:43 AM and 01/08/12 07:05 PM.

This type is a little more forgiving, as the bottom curve self-adjusts the rig for different bottle types, etc. ...there is little that is special about the dimensions, or even the "moon face." I made several that are *roughly*;

- 11" tip-to-tip (somewhere around 1/3 of a circle)
- 4" depth (distance from outside curve to tips)
- 1-3/4" thickness of the blank
- 1" hole diameter, located just above the nose
- free-form moon face, made into a masonite template.

I have made them using a simple curve where the body is only about �" thick in the middle, but I think the "happy moon face" adds to the concept.

This one was made from a scrap of maple butcher-block, but just about anything 1�" thick (minimum) or better would do. On some I laminated the inside/outside faces with walnut veneer for contrast and to add a bit of strength to any thin cross-grain sections.

They make great gifts, and you can crank out a dozen in an hour after making a lay-out template (assuming bandsaw and some form of spindle sander).
_________

I will try to find a way to post the picture. Otherwise, I can send my text file and photo by email to anyone who wishes. Send me a pm with your email.

- wood2woodknot

I googled "curved wine bottle holder" and found some interesting stuff. I'm not a big fan of ehow.com, but they had these Build Instructions for doing a bent lamination version. You might be able to get some dimensions from their article.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools