Scrap project. Boat from single board. My scrap hoard now looks useful
http://digg.com/video/boat-from-2x4

Very bad news for my effort to get rid of all the scraps I'm "going to find a use for one day"
That was very cool. Followed the link onto youTube to see him actually manage to paddle it around, albeit with an outrigger, as the CG was way too high.

Thanks for posting that. Makes you realize that even scrap wood COULD have a use..... he he.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
if he resawed that board on a bandsaw he could have made 2 boats
That's pretty clever! The title of his video says he's using a trash bag, and maybe that's what they call it in Germany, but it looks more like a tarp, since you can see the fiber reinforcements and grommets as he's putting it together.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Wonder what kind of combo machine looking thing that was.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Wow that was a big 2x4. Looked more like a 2.5 x 5.5 to me. The bag looked like a regular black trash bag though.
I'm pretty sure that combo machine is a Festool. Those options are not available in the U.S. for some reason (OSHA?).

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Boatman53 said:

I'm pretty sure that combo machine is a Festool. Those options are not available in the U.S. for some reason (OSHA?).

Jim

Who knows but we generally are behind Europe and Japan when it comes to tech. Even us companies will sell stuff in Europe before making it available here. Milwaukee is a good example. They have cordless tools they sell in Europe but not here and the us is their main market.

I'll bet the reason the festool isn't available is probably cost. Their stuff is pricey and that thing would probably be a fortune. They do also have several other tools that aren't available here.
Boatman53 said:

Festool sells what they call a trimming saw. It's not available in the US. The smaller of the two they sell has a ripping depth of 52mm, which is plenty to do have the depth of a German 2x4, which is nominally 50x100 mm.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Several years ago, we here at WoodNet had contests with the requirement that entrants had to make something using only one 2x4 that was 6 or 8 feet long.

The results were simply amazing(several members got new nicknames because of what they made bestowed by the Mods).

I lost all the saved pictures in a computer crash, it would be nice if some one has them saved.