Questing about using CA Finish
New to turning and was making some pens for Christmas presents. Bought the kits (Cigar pen) from Rockler and also the bushings for it. After turning the pieces I applied the CA Finish and everything looked great. My problem arose when I tried to remove the bushings from the pens - they were literally stuck on there. After some force, they finally came off but in one of the pieces, it ended up chipping the edge. I'm assuming it's because the CA finish adhered to the bushing, as well. Am I supposed to finish the pens using the same bushing or do I switch to a smaller bushing or what should I do to avoid this in the future? Thanks!
I use these. They may be cheaper elsewhere, the link was the first one I found in a google search. You can get a lot of use out of them too. Can you sand the chip out and refinish?

Bob
Definitely one of the pitfalls in the CA finish. Here are a few suggestions for next time:

-Switch to nonstick bushings as suggested above (you can also make your own from uhdpe rods available on amazon.

-Ditch the mandrel and use a dead center in the headstock plus a 60* live cented just on the tubes (careful with the pressure on the tailstock).

-Use the bushing but apply paste wax beforehand to minimize adhesion to the bushings.

-When removing the bushings leave on lathe and use a sharp xacto knife to score the transition. Hold the knife still on the line and rotate the lathe by hand.

I'm sure there are other options as well, but these have all worked (to varying degrees) for me.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
What both of these guys said.

I do not use them but I bees wax any other wax on them before I do it. But their way is best if you can afford them.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll give those nylon bushings a try.
imapseudonym said:

....-Use the bushing but apply paste wax beforehand to minimize adhesion to the bushings.

-When removing the bushings leave on lathe and use a sharp xacto knife to score the transition. Hold the knife still on the line and rotate the lathe by hand. ...

That's what I do...carefully, very carefully.

e deploribus unum

FBranco said:

[blockquote]imapseudonym said:

....-Use the bushing but apply paste wax beforehand to minimize adhesion to the bushings.

-When removing the bushings leave on lathe and use a sharp xacto knife to score the transition. Hold the knife still on the line and rotate the lathe by hand. ...

[/blockquote]

Same here, just take your time.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
chips ahoy said:

[blockquote]FBranco said:

[blockquote]imapseudonym said:

[/blockquote]

Same here, just take your time.

Mel

[/blockquote]

I'm going to try this way next time. I tried out those nylon bushings and I seemed to get a better finish overall on the regular bushings than the nylon bushings.